Formula / general rule of thumb to make lower frequencies sound as loud as higher frequencies?

• Members

I swear at one point I knew a formula or at least a general rule of thumb relating to power and frequency. Something like you need half the energy every octave you go up to make it sound as loud as your starting point. So for example, if I'm pushing a 40 Hz tone at with 1000 watts, it'll take 500 watts to make an 80 Hz tone sound just as loud, and then 250 watts for a 160 Hz tone to sound just as loud, and 125 watts for a 320 Hz tone to sound just as loud, etc. Or you could start at a higher frequency and work backwards. Sound familiar to anyone?

• Members

Actually the rule is 4:1 per octave but you also have to allow that speakers are generally a bit more efficient in the upper regions of their band than the lower ones

But with a perfect speaker your 1000W @ 40 Hz would take 250 @ 80Hz, etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Keep in mind that most modern music doesn't follow the rules of equal loudness at all frequencies. There tends to be "hype" of both ends of the spectrum (even with the Fletcher Munson curve in effect at high volumes). If you're reproducing a symphony or other music that is usually heard acoustically and want to just make as accurate of a representation as possible, follow the formula. With most modern music, having extra headroom at the extreme ends of the audio spectrum (especially low end) is a good idea. You don't have to use it but.......... I've been amazed a few times at how unnatural some DJ music sounds yet the audience loves it that way (conditioning I guess).

Just my .02

Archived