Ramp for cargo trailer?

• Members

I have a 5x8 cargo trailer. When I bought it many years ago, I had a maroon full-size Chevy K-Blazer and the trailer was maroon. Perfect match. However, I was a little short-sighted. The trailer has the "barn door" style rear doors instead of a door that drops to the ground to become a ramp. For some reason, the gear feels heavier these days and I'd like a ramp. Is there any company out there that makes something like this? I called a couple trailer places by me and they said "no" due to liability issues. I went to a local welding/fabricating shop but the ramp was going to weigh quite a bit. I'm looking at a couple portable wheel chair ramps online but I'm not quite sure it would work. Maybe a local wood-worker and make it out of wood? Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

• Members

My best ramp is from B&P Manufacturing, it's 38" wide, 6' long, and rated for 2,.00lbs. It weighs about 60lbs, but it handles my 600lb cases just fine, and occasionally heavier stuff than that. Something smaller would fail with my cases, I'm sure.

Depending on the weight you're moving, a wheelchair ramp might work. Just like anything though, some are better than others.

If you want a serious ramp, you're looking for what's called an apron-end walk ramp.

• Members
My back is hurting just thinking about pushing around a 600 lb. case! Maybe I'll just go with a BOSE system. :cool:

I have 3 cases that are exceptionally heavy, two of which are 30x45" cable trunks (one audio and one power). Each of those is probably around 500lbs, but my large mic stand case takes the cake. It's a 300lb case with 350lbs of stands in it. It's a monster. The 2 workboxes I normally carry aren't light either, but they're only 300-400lbs all loaded. They don't seem so bad in comparison.

I have smaller stuff for smaller shows, but that doesn't happen all that often, so my normal load is pretty heavy.

• Members

The wheelchair ramp works great (which is essentially the Harbor Freight link above). I used one for my 5x8 trailer for a decade. You want the longest one that will fit in your trailer. this allows the slope to be less making pushing gear much easier (you don't need a running start). We had all of our gear on R&R carts or wheels of some kind.

I actually have a relatively new one I bought and used for less than a year before getting a ramp door trailer. Not sure where you're located, but I'd sell it. It's just sitting in the garage.

• Members
The wheelchair ramp works great (which is essentially the Harbor Freight link above). I used one for my 5x8 trailer for a decade. You want the longest one that will fit in your trailer. this allows the slope to be less making pushing gear much easier (you don't need a running start). We had all of our gear on R&R carts or wheels of some kind.

I actually have a relatively new one I bought and used for less than a year before getting a ramp door trailer. Not sure where you're located, but I'd sell it. It's just sitting in the garage.

Mr. Abzurd...it's been a long time. How are you? Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't we have almost an identical PA system? My "bigger" system is a pair of RCF ART 522s over four RCF 705 subs, and four RCF 322 cabinets for monitors (at least I'm pretty sure that's the number for the monitors). Everything is like-new. Thinking about maybe selling it. And I think we both had early Line 6 wireless mic systems. Or at least I think that was you. Two members of my band passed away and I was helping my dad care for my ailing mother until her passing, and now I'm caring for my dad. I haven't haven't had time to hang out on this forum for several years now. Music moved down the list of priorities but to quote Jake and Elwood, we're putting the band back together! And I'm looking to do some DJ work again.

I'm in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY. I get out to Columbus occasionally but nothing on the horizon. Shipping them would be way more than just buying some 2X6 boards or whatever they take. I was in touch with Race Ramps. They could make me something perfect and super light, but we're looking at $500 - $700 depending on size. I'd be better off trading in my trailer before spending that much on a ramp.

• Members

Mr. Abzurd...it's been a long time. How are you? Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't we have almost an identical PA system? My "bigger" system is a pair of RCF ART 522s over four RCF 705 subs, and four RCF 322 cabinets for monitors (at least I'm pretty sure that's the number for the monitors). Everything is like-new. Thinking about maybe selling it. And I think we both had early Line 6 wireless mic systems. Or at least I think that was you. Two members of my band passed away and I was helping my dad care for my ailing mother until her passing, and now I'm caring for my dad. I haven't haven't had time to hang out on this forum for several years now. Music moved down the list of priorities but to quote Jake and Elwood, we're putting the band back together! And I'm looking to do some DJ work again.

I'm in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY. I get out to Columbus occasionally but nothing on the horizon. Shipping them would be way more than just buying some 2X6 boards or whatever they take. I was in touch with Race Ramps. They could make me something perfect and super light, but we're looking at $500 - $700 depending on size. I'd be better off trading in my trailer before spending that much on a ramp.

Good to hear from you and yep, that's me. I ended my band of 17 years in January and getting ready to sell off the PA. I'm in another band, but we average playing out once a month versus once week, and that's fine with me. I'm also fine driving my VW Golf R to the gig and showing up 15 minutes before sound check versus an SUV and a trailer 2 hours before the gig and being tired before I even start the show. The sound isn't always up to my standards, but I'm learning to deal with it and just focus on performing.

I sold my 522A speakers on Craigslist. I hated to see them go to some guy that was going to hook them up to his Playstation.... sigh. I've had 745-A over PRX718XLF for a while now and some PRX 712 and RCF 310A for monitors. It's all going bye bye eventually. I have the pics taken, just in no hurry really.

I check this board once a month or less. It still doesn't alert you of new posts to a thread, making it pretty much worthless. That was the "last straw bug" killed off what had already been a failing infrastructure for years.

Archived