Peavey 300 Combo Amp to Amplify Electronic kit?

• Members

I have a chance to get one of these amps for pretty cheap to use with my ekit. The reason I am considering it, is because I run two modules(for easier volume balancing), one for highs and one for lows, and this amp has a high gain input and a low gain input. That should work perfect for my setup correct?

63cf36dab6c92e1953b337d87f8cf464.thumb.png.f56f3b6ed6bdb7ab476fbe0ed0b6fc12.png

I have a chance to get one of these amps for pretty cheap to use with my ekit. The reason I am considering it' date=' is because I run two modules(for easier volume balancing), one for highs and one for lows, and this amp has a high gain input and a low gain input. That should work perfect for my setup correct?[/quote']

Not necessarily... the two inputs are designed for low-output passive bass pickups and for basses with much hotter active electronics in them. There is no way to adjust the levels of those two inputs separately. Ideally, a small mixer with at least two inputs would allow you to adjust those two elements from your electronic kit separately, and then combine their outputs into a single mono signal that you could feed into any suitable amplifier.

Outside of that, the Peavey might work for you. I used to use a Peavey 300 as my main bass amp, and it worked great for me in that capacity... I don't recall if it had a horn built-in too, but the main speaker was a 15" driver that handles the low end just fine - which is important for any amp you want to use to amplify electronic drums with.

• Members
I have a chance to get one of these amps for pretty cheap to use with my ekit. The reason I am considering it' date=' is because I run two modules(for easier volume balancing), one for highs and one for lows, and this amp has a high gain input and a low gain input. That should work perfect for my setup correct?[/quote']

I've read your post a few times. When you say 2 modules do you mean 2 speakers or 2 inputs? This does have a built-in crossover. You could use this to feed a subwoofer and midhigh speaker.

• Members

Not necessarily... the two inputs are designed for low-output passive bass pickups and for basses with much hotter active electronics in them. There is no way to adjust the levels of those two inputs separately. Ideally, a small mixer with at least two inputs would allow you to adjust those two elements from your electronic kit separately, and then combine their outputs into a single mono signal that you could feed into any suitable amplifier.

Outside of that, the Peavey might work for you. I used to use a Peavey 300 as my main bass amp, and it worked great for me in that capacity... I don't recall if it had a horn built-in too, but the main speaker was a 15" driver that handles the low end just fine - which is important for any amp you want to use to amplify electronic drums with.

Thanks for your input.

• Members

I've read your post a few times. When you say 2 modules do you mean 2 speakers or 2 inputs? This does have a built-in crossover. You could use this to feed a subwoofer and midhigh speaker.

2 individual drum modules(brains). Not sure about the crossover. It does have a speaker out jack on the back to run a midhigh speaker.

• Members

2 individual drum modules(brains). Not sure about the crossover. It does have a speaker out jack on the back to run a midhigh speaker.

Should be able to download the manual on line. The crossover can be used to biamp. Go low out to Poweramp in and what ever crossover point you selected will feed the lows to the speaker in the cabinet. High out can feed another bass cabinet or a powered speaker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Like Phil said, those inputs aren't designed to be used as separate inputs. The bass amp did not have a horn on it, so it would be less than ideal for full range kit amplification. What your looking for would be a Peavey KB-300. This was essentially the same amp with a horn, three inputs.and in some cases a mic input. Just pretend that's not there. These things are indestructible and a great back up for almost anything from the intended keys, to bass to almost anything that needs amplified. The horn doesn't cover an especially wide area and is probably best used in a stage amp capacity, as your high end will fall off dramatically when off axis. The Combo 300 is a good bass amp, but not as utilitarian as the KB and probably not for your intended use.

71aef6934d7ef3657224a4f943eeb312.jpg.fab511e4a82432b25ca02fcd6d8c234b.jpg

Archived