Al's Yorkville Elite EF-12P active speaker review

• Members

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share a review I did on these newer boxes from Yorkville. Of course, I am still mostly a DJ doing some occasional live sound, but figured the information might prove useful for some fo you. As always, feel free if you have any questions :)

Al

Al

• Members

Al, out of all your reviews one thing sticks out, in the world of pro audio why do you always mention "hi fi"? It's an old marketing term from the 50's which served it's purpose then but doesn't seem to apply now. It was the term used to describe recordings with distortion and other crud removed from the original recordings...in the 60's came stereophonic records which supposedly killed "hi fi", yet it stuck all these painful long years.

Quick question Is there any FIR technology incorporated into this speaker?

It would be interesting to put this side by side with a DSR112 and SRX812P for a shootout. I've seen large elite systems deployed with bands and they sounded great.

I am guessing this speaker would splay well with another of the same model with the narrower pattern and reduce comb filtering?

The SPL rating of 131 do you think is underrated a bit? Seems to be in same ball park price wise as a SRX812P but it seems the JBL is a little on the inflated side of max spl rating.

• Members
Al, out of all your reviews one thing sticks out, in the world of pro audio why do you always mention "hi fi"? It's an old marketing term from the 50's which served it's purpose then but doesn't seem to apply now. It was the term used to describe recordings with distortion and other crud removed from the original recordings...in the 60's came stereophonic records which supposedly killed "hi fi", yet it stuck all these painful long years.

It would be interesting to put this side by side with a DSR112 and SRX812P for a shootout. I've seen large elite systems deployed with bands and they sounded great.

I am guessing this speaker would splay well with another of the same model with the narrower pattern and reduce comb filtering?

The SPL rating of 131 do you think is underrated a bit? Seems to be in same ball park price wise as a SRX812P but it seems the JBL is a little on the inflated side of max spl rating.

Thank you for pointing out the hi-fi thing, and you are correct that it is a term I use frequently. What I mean when I say a speaker has a hi-fi sound to it, basically, I mean it sounds more like a home stereo than a typical PA cabinet, that is to say more ear friendly (even mid-scooped if you will - with a hyped top end and bottom end) as opposed to a more "in your face" mid oriented sound, which was more typical a while back with most passive PA cabs that you instantly had to EQ so that they wouldn't leave your clients with their hands over their ears... (when it comes to music playback anyway). These days, I find most active DJ or PA cabs have a pre-eq'd sound or voicing closer to a home stereo than typical older PA, why I often say they have a hi-fi sound.

I can DJ with my RCF 310As at close to full output when I play for my older folks and they can dance right in front of the speakers without giving me dirty looks. I can garantee you if I tried the same with certain different active 10"s, such as the Elite E10Ps (for example), it would not work at all. The horn in the E10Ps comes off as harsh to my ears - it has strong mids, but also mids that need to be tamed and come off as harsh at high volumes out of the box. I wouldn't call these speakers hi-fi, but would describe them more as live speakers, because of the emphasis on the mids and their "not so ear friendly" nature.

As for the EF-12Ps, no FIR ftechnology mentionned, so likely not. There is multi-band limiting however (like in the Parasource) which is likely why things still sounded fine with the speaker in steady limit. The limit lights light up way too soon IMO for such a powerful speaker with 3" compressions driver. After a while, I simply stopped watching it and instead periodically checked out the sound out front, which remained fine, loud and intelligible regardless of how much signal I fed...

Al

• Members

As for DSR112 VS EF12P, they have a VERY different voicing out of the box. The DSR112 has ultra crisp and strong top end from the get go and barely any output below 70hz while the EF12P is the exact opposite - boasting a very prominent low end down to 47hz, plenty of mids and very little of that crisper top end. If you get to test the EF-12P, I think most of you sound guys will make a WTF face when trying out the club mode lol. It is pretty bad - even by DJ standards lol. Those sound modes need some work IMO. As for manufacturer SPL ratings these days, I think when they're actually measured, they're obtained with the limiters de-activated and at a certain frequency for a few microseconds. Actually, Yorkville's own SPL ratings would have you believe the NX55P produces more SPL than the EF-12P. In my experience, there is no way this is possible. That said, both Nx55P and EF-12P blink their limit lights way early. Into full limit, the EF-12P still sounds great while the NX55Ps sounds like total crap as only the HF gets louder once limiting sets in. I think the multi-band limiting helps out the EF-12P quite a bit at higher volume... The EF-12P seemed way more capable, powerful and loud in my testing with both units.

Al

• Members

The Ef500p have the same Horn Spec.as the EF-12p and they combine well in a tight pack. I've run them that way before with good results. Don't let the SPL rating scare you off. My EF's are rated much lower in spl than the new EF-12p but go much louder than a person would think. As an example. Put a Bridged Peavey CS800X on a single Peavey SP2X for 800 watts to the speaker. Now bring music up until the CS800's DDT light just starts to blink. Measure this with Smaart. Now feed a EF500p with the same signal and bring it up until its limiter lights just starts to flash and measure it with Smaart. You'll see the SP2 and EF500p have the same overall average spl. Now know that the EF500p can keep getting louder before it taps out! I'd have to look but I believe my EF500p's were rated at 127db peak. ( I don't have time to look right now )

Doug

7f74bace8f0fc045f050fd4f5c08a495.thumb.JPG.efa08ead7c9cf2e13ac0ec7490abefd3.JPG

d4b74a27d014e270f423c6a67403f75f.thumb.JPG.0a2a06b6dbf912bdd4fcf1243aae8acb.JPG

Archived