EVZLX-12P vs. Yamaha Club S112V

• Members

OK, I know this is a really weird comparison because it is active vs. passive, but there is a reason behind the request. I also have read through the ghost town thread and agree and it is a big sad as I've gotten such phenomenal advice hear over the years. That said, I wanted to give it a try and see what kind of response we can get.

So, we have a pair of Yammy 112 Clubs current version (V) and looking at getting a matched pair for outdoor jobs in the summer (used with subs). Since we already have 1 pair, and a relatively limited budget, it's the obvious choice to get our matched pair. That said, the market is clearly into active speakers now and we are wondering if we should make the jump. The challenge is budget, so QSC K2's are out! (unfortunately). Within this budget, the speaker I keep ending up on is the EV ZLX-12P. I suppose we can get into the whole active vs. passive discussion, but what I'm wondering is what your opinions are based on sound quality. Head to head, sound quality strictly, what speaker sounds better and is there a significant difference (a hands down winner?). Of course, I'd love any thoughts or input/insight, so feel free to pass on any additional info you'd like. Basically, trying to figure out if it is worth it/makes sense, to spring for 4 EV's vs. the two Yammie's. We already have amps to run the additional yammies.

We are a 6 piece modern country band, keys, bass, drums, electric, acoustic and 3 vocals. Will almost always match the tops up with a sub or two. Only time we wouldn't is if a very small job and only using FOH for vocals. Needing huge volume generally isn't an issue as our demographic tends to now want it too loud.....LOL. Thanks!

• Members

Sounds like your just using more speakers just once and awhile. Although some may not agree I find its worth while going Dual PA. for these smaller shows outside. Use your passive system as is and feed it from the Left output on your mixer. Have most everything but vocals in it. Have 1 or 2 other powered speakers a side and feed them from the Right output of your mixer. Have only Vocals going through these. Because not the same source is coming out of the speakers you avoid overlap in coverage-comb filtering and other interference using 2 of the same speakers a side that are really not designed to work together as a pair. Should you have only a few gigs outside you can rent/loan speakers from another band/provider for just these events. Look at the horn coverage of your current speakers. 90 degree L/R horn coverage speakers don't combine well unless you point them in different directions to the L/R to avoid overlap in coverage and interference problems Just something to think about and it has worked well for me in the past. I've used a 3 speaker a side - Vocal speaker, Instrument speaker, vocal speaker a side with good results. The instrument speaker has the sub included. Doug

• Members

The EV ZLX12P is a nice sounding loudspeaker. However, I personally would not use them to try to get over the top of a rock band in SPL.

Monitors ok, FOH no. Unless you are an acoustic act. You would be riding them at or near max all night trying to stay over the top of

stage volume.

For FOH powered loudspeakers you would want speakers that are rated in the 130db or plus range. I do have some ZLX boxes so I speak from experience with them. The EKX or ETX, or ELX would be more ideal for FOH.

• Members

Thanks guys. Very good information from both of you. Really unique and creative solution from Dookie....wow! Would've never thought of that. In continuing to research, along with your input...we are now leaning toward holding off until we can get higher end actives. We'll see. I appreciate any and all other advice you have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As an aside to this, my observation is that those Yamaha Club Series 112s have the flattest response of any cabinet I've heard in that price range. They just flat sound great for the money, and require very little EQ to get to optimum.

I had a set of them and sold them, then replaced with the new DXR12s. The DXRs are definitely more convenient, easier to set up, smaller overall package, etc., but they just do not sound as good. I end up spending a LOT more time tweaking to get them to sound right than I ever spent with the Clubs.

JMO, YMMV, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would wait for Yamaha DSR's to liquidate, a new yamaha series the DZR came out so the DSR's will drop. Best powered MI main for the buck right now...... they mate well with JBL's PRX XLF series as well. Your decision depends a lot on what subs you will use.

As far as the ZLX run as far and as fast as you can. They would make ok monitors but that's about it, just cheep speakers all the way around. No resale value. I dumped mine at my first opportunity.

Archived