Increasing sound quality in an outside venue

• Members

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone :) Great community with lots of useful information.

I am looking to replace the current speakers for outside parties.

The current setup is

2 x RCF TT25 http://www.rcf.it/products/touring-and-theatre/tt25

1 x Subwoofer DB Technologies, Arena SW 18, RMS power 600W http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/pro...rena-sw18-p755

The setup is powered by a DPS 3000 amp , with an output of 2x 800W (RMS). http://www.rcf.it/products/pro-speak...fiers/dps-3000

The SPL is pretty good, but what we are lacking is sound quality. I am deciding between 4 x ELECTROVOICE QRX 115/75 http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=191

or 2 x ELECTROVOICE QRX 212/75 http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=193 to replace the two current RCF speakers.

What do you guys think, what would sound better? 4 15" separate speakers or the 2 with 2x12" inside?

Thanks,

• Members

The QRX are great boxes, but I don't think you will get any increase in sound quality over your TT25s speakers, which are also very nice.

You will get more output, coverage, which you say you don't need. But I do find a lot of the time I find that more rig just sounds a whole lot better, because it's not being pushed as hard or is hitting limiting (which is quite audible) a whole lot less often.

• Moderators

could you define 'sound quality' a bit more, please? Is it clarity, volume drop, muddiness, lack of distinction...?

Also knowing how your speakers are placed relative to the are may be helpful, and are you using this for live music or prerecorded. That space doesn't seem to be so large, but absent reflection there are inherent issues with outdoor set-ups.

• Members

Lets say we are looking for more clarity..we are playing prerecorded audio on these speakers. The area looks something like this, with the speakers standing on the floor (it is not possible to place them higher).

SPKRS.jpg

If we replace the current two speakers (15" woofer in each) with two 2 x ELECTROVOICE QRX 212/75 will we see any improvement ? As these have two 12" woofers each and a fully rotatable horn...

• Members

Does the design to alow u to put the 2 tops on top of the sub?

This wil also increase the quality a (little) bit

Also i think ure amp is way to weak for the tops, rcf recommends a amp of 2x 2000w

The sub is also to weak for these tops at 600w

Looking to the spl then it should mayby combine

Tops at 100db and sub 132db?,!?!?

Do u use a crossoverfor the tops?

Only the sub has a build in filter for internal use, ure tops getting also the full signal

• Members

More clarity? Turn off speaker 2

Probably not intuative but absolutely true as you will essentially cut the reflections in half

Or how about stack speaker 2 on top of speaker 1? Or stack speaker 2 on the sub and then stack speaker 1 on speaker 2?

• Members

I am not sure why raising the speakers is not possible. So maybe some option with actual physical height or vertical pattern control like a Renkus Heinz Iconyx system or Bose F1 might be in order?

Otherwise, I just don't see how one is going to get increased sound quality while aiming at the thighs of the front row.

• Members
I am not sure why raising the speakers is not possible. So maybe some option with actual physical height or vertical pattern control like a Renkus Heinz Iconyx system or Bose F1 might be in order?

Otherwise, I just don't see how one is going to get increased sound quality while aiming at the thighs of the front row.

Who knows... maybe the speakers gotta be tucked away behind some plants or something?

A story from my past (15 - 20 years ago): I was the sound & light contractor for an up-scale event in a swanky ballroom in a ritzy downtown hotel... coat & tie and evening dress affair... big dollar band. We'd just finished with soundchecks... the band was walking out of the room when the lady in-charge arrived on the scene (blew into the room)... she marched right up to the left speaker stack, hand on her hip and said: "What the H.E. double L is THAT???!!!" And then she pointed at the front and back lighting trusses & lights and said: "And what... what in the H.E. double L is all that crap???!!! And then she pointed at the wedges, mics, and such on stage, and SHOUTED: "Where did all this junk come from... I want some answers, NOW!!!" (she was spitting venom). I rose to the occasion, walked over to her, introduced myself, handed her my business card, and explained: "Those are speakers for the band, it's a Meyer UPA system, the wedges on stage are also Meyer UPA, the lights are also as per contract... 24ea. PAR 64 Thomas fixtures... etc... all per contract. She blew up... said she hired a band... not all this stuff. I handed her the contract, stage plot, input and mix list, etc... and explained "here's the paperwork on the job I was hired to do". She scanned through the paperwork... and threw the paperwork back at me and said: "Well do something." I replied "What would you like me to do?" She said: "Do something with all this stuff." I said: "What would you like me to do with it?" She said: "Move it somewhere that I don't have to look at it." I said: "Under your direction, I can remove it from the building and load it in my truck (and go away) ... but I recommend you check with the band first." She said: "Where's the band?" I pointed "that" direction. That was the last I heard of it... the show and whole event went great (sounded good too with the speakers left where they were).

• Members

Nothing like identifying the actual cause of the problem and then be told that you can't correct the problem. Un-freekin-believable.

Archived