• Members

Been awhile since I have been on here. You all have given me some great advice over the years and I have used that. FINALLY got my Behringer tops replaced. They will now serve monitor duty when my soundman and I run lights and sound for other bands. My band uses IEMs. Since JBL has released the 8 series they are selling off the 7 series in store demos. My local guitar Center had to track another one down for me since they obviously only had one and they are not advertised them on their websites. Picked up two JBL Prx712s for 299 each. SCORE!! Since they have never been sold the still carry the warranty!!! So I have been researching regarding the mic/line button and all I get is what the button does. Small button that is internal and needs a pencil to push in. Right now the button is out. Is that mic or line? Also I was curious when using for FOH do you all run them wide open or do you back them off? Thanks in advance! My PA was purchased with your input and what I could get my hands on. Especially if I could find it at a really good price. Prx712s for tops. Yorkville 801p for bottoms. DBX xover. Presonus 24 channel Studio live. I never purchased any of this with the intent to hire it out. But my phone has been ringing wanting to rent it. One of my closest friends is a very good soundman but has been running his own studio. So we have since teamed up. He runsthe PA and I do lights. We split 50/50. I know what I make as a musician. I am floored at what people will pay for production.

• Members

$300 with warranty, nice! I just looked at the manual for the 700 series and it's pretty bad, not mentioning anything about the position of the button, hence, your question. I then looked at the 600 series manual and for those line is OUT and mic is IN. My guess is it's the same. I actually have a pair of 712s myself, but tI'm at work, or I'd take a look.

As for where to put the "knob", it's not volume, it's input sensitivity. The amp is capable of clipping no matter where it's set. It all depends on the signal strength coming in. The optimal way to do it is to have your mixer clip at the same time as your speakers. This way you know the capability of the system throughout the chain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I've run in to a snag. One of them seems to be getting stuck in the standby mode. A feature I hate. I don't think it is in the 600 or 800 series and I don't think it defeatable. The thing even goes to standby while using it. Cycle the power and works a few minutes then off again.

• Members

Well I decided that with one already shutting off and the fact that I hate the standby mode I took them back. The guy I bought them from couldn't get a demo from another store and since it fell to me to deal with JBL and the warranty I just got rid of them. So back to square one. But I am committed to getting something nice but going to have to save a bit more. They did have a used set of QSC k12 for 1100 but I didn't have time to try them out. I liked those JBLs and maybe I just like the brand lol. Listened to the new EONs and didn't like them. Thay didn't have any JBL812s or Yamaha DSR112s in stock yet. I listened to the EV LiveX 112 and those sounded nice but the QSC k12.2 seemed to project vocals much better. So I think I will subscribe to the buy once and cry once. I think I have it narrowed down to the QSC k12.2, JBL 812s and the Yamaha DSR112. Any thoughts? DSR are at the top on price. The k12.2 were the only ones I had a chance to hear but I liked them!!! Back to the EV Live X. They actually sounded really nice with recorded music. Not sure how well it would do in a live setting but from what I have read would probably fall short of the 3 I listed.

• Members

I haven't heard the new K12.2 speakers, but I own the DSR112's and have compared them to lots of other speakers.

They are clear, loud, and powerful .... they are especially well suited to tops over subs duty IME. The finish on them is bullet proof as are the internals and they come with a 7 year warranty.

As for the comparison with the new QSC speakers .... I await your feedback! I would love to hear your thoughts should you get to do an A/B comparison.

I have A/B'ed the PRX to the DSR's and do prefer the DSR's.

• Members
Why not do the warranty on the JBL box? For that price you got them for if you can get a warranty fix go for it.

I had decided several years ago that when I bought tops that I would go with the Prx712s. I did not realize at that time there was a standby feature. Jbl put a feature that no one asked for in the 712 that was not in the 600 series and curiously left off the 800 series. It is just another thing that could go wrong. I ran in to that potential problem right away so I decided to not even mess with it. How would I be able to know if that would ever become a chronic problem? It wasn't worth it to me to have to worry about it. But I really did like them so the 812s are seriously being considered. In fact it is the one I am leaning towards.

• Members

Well it looks like those QSC have the standby as well. Damn! LOL! I also noticed that they have crossovers built in. As of right now I'm using a dbx and summing the bottoms and then running the tops in stereo. When I was looking at the JBL as I noticed that the crossover was in the sub and then you went to the tops. This looks to be reversed. In as you would go in the tops and then out and into the subs. Does that sound correct? Also what should I expect from running my bottoms in mono verses in stereo if I were to go with the QSC s. I have yorkville 801p

Archived