I see lots of like new shure 52a without pouch or box?

• Members

My drummer bought a fake 58A last year. $20, including shipping. Packaging was great, looked just like the real deal. Came with the pencil case, pattern cutout, box, the whole nine yards. Weighed a little bit less. You'd never know it was fake, unless you plugged it in and tried to sing through it.

Yeah, I know that's not useful to you, but I'm still amazed at the cosmetic quality of the copies. It even looks pretty close with the ball grille off.

• Members

I did a gig about a month ago and the drummer said he had his own drum mics. It was a brand I had never heard of but came in a slick case and looked nice. Hooked up the kick mic and that sound was crap. Took it off and put on a shure 57 and it sounded ten times better. I know the shure 52a sounds good and I like the sound much better than the AKG.

• Members

Were they CAD mics?

I actually used a 57 last week on kick. I normally work with drummers with their own mics. A 57 in front of his kick port, a Beta 57 (not 57A) on the snare (about 4-6" up and back, pointed at his crotch).......picked up the whole kit; small room. Vocal mics handled the cymbals. I like those Beta 57s for snare. They sound good and take a lickin'.

• Members
Were they CAD mics?

I actually used a 57 last week on kick. I normally work with drummers with their own mics. A 57 in front of his kick port, a Beta 57 (not 57A) on the snare (about 4-6" up and back, pointed at his crotch).......picked up the whole kit; small room. Vocal mics handled the cymbals. I like those Beta 57s for snare. They sound good and take a lickin'.

Agreed. The original B 57 is a nice sounding mic. I like them for vocals as well (nice bright top end almost like a condenser but still great rejection).

FWIW I have (or had - I may have given some of them away) a CAD drum mic setup. I really liked the tom mics (with their weird vulcanized on iso mount). I thought they sounded great for the price. The kick mic sounded bad (not broken - just like a cheap mic) and then died (oh well :)) and the condensers were useless as they would internally overload at drum volumes - no pad on mic (now that's a bit of a design flaw).

Back to the OP: Shures are probably the most counterfeited mic on the planet. If the price seems too good to be true or you smell BS in any way.......steer clear. It's unfortunate because I'd bet this has hurt Shure's reputation & business beyond just the lost sales. FWIW we had a fellow show up with his own SM 87 vocal mic. I noted how it seemed to magically work WITHOUT phantom. It didn't sound awful though and they were just a short opening act so rather than make a fuss about it, I let it slide.

• Members

I noticed on ebay some of the 52's have a "CE" stamped into the base, but on the Shure site you don't see that (the USA site show the whole mic, the European site doesn't show the base.

I also see that the inset silver screw in the base looks pretty junky. On official Shure site this screw looks much cleaner.

fetch?filedataid=121859

Archived