A very long but very beneficial weekend

• Members

This weekend I did sound for a large annual bluegrass festival in a near by city. On this same weekend, my band played at a county fair in another town about two hours away from the bluegrass event.

Logistics took a little work . We traveled to the bluegrass festival to set up Friday arriving at 11am. Once we were done, we then traveled the two hours to the fair to set up and perform from 7-midnight that night. Got back to our room and asleep by 2am and up at 530 to drive two hours back to the bluegrass festival.

We arrive at the bluegrass festival to discover that the state park staff forgot to turn the sprinkler system off on the large lawn area where the stage and system were set up. By sheer luck, all that seemed effected were a pair of DIs that I poured some water out of. Good thing I decided to tarp my amp racks as the cover was soaked, the amps would have been history.

The festival was a treat. Every band had members who were either Grammy winners or nominees, Nashville recording pros, etc...... There was also a performance by an area special needs group of musicians that was impressive. The guitarist was pulling off a number of banjo roll type blues licks that I wish I knew what he was doing, good stuff.

The festival ended at 6pm and we got home at 11 and dang if I don't wake up at 630 !!!!

Then to add a little extra to the day, I get a text from a large symphony in this same city asking if I'm available for a December event.

Yes I'm beat but that's a good weekend by any measure

• Members

Cool, even after reminding a certain grounds staff several times to be sure sprinklers were off (and making sure everything was bagged), they still failed miserably. Fortunately, everything remained dry, but grrrr.

Did you end up using a second set of speakers for the special needs group that set up in front/ How did that work?

So, you got to experience playing and running sound kind of interleaved over the weekend... that's pretty much my entire month of July, full of (horse entertainment) shows as well as managing 7 sound systems (one of which handles our shows). Exhausting, but doable with attention to logistics. If you make it too hard, too disorganized, it all falls apart though ;)

• Members
Cool, even after reminding a certain grounds staff several times to be sure sprinklers were off (and making sure everything was bagged), they still failed miserably. Fortunately, everything remained dry, but grrrr.

Did you end up using a second set of speakers for the special needs group that set up in front/ How did that work?

So, you got to experience playing and running sound kind of interleaved over the weekend... that's pretty much my entire month of July, full of (horse entertainment) shows as well as managing 7 sound systems (one of which handles our shows). Exhausting, but doable with attention to logistics. If you make it too hard, too disorganized, it all falls apart though ;)

Hey Andy

When you and I talked about this, I was envisioning a larger- deeper sub stage for those folks. The platform they provided was probably not more than 6' deep at best and was right against the front of the main stage. I placed the main system to its forward edge which worked just fine. The audience was restricted from sitting closer than about 25' from the stage so the coverage pattern was not a problem. Just due to the available shade and a warm day, many (most?) of the audience sat much farther back so the tighter throw of those Crystals actually worked quite well.

Yes logistics is everything there but I'm quite certain I won't volunteer myself for something like that again. I've been paying for it all day today.😴💤

• Members

There is a guy who hangs three of those BE Crystals per side with Sumner lifts 25' or so and uses a single Danley TH118 per side for a small jazz fest in Sept here every year. They seem to be very accurate and pleasant sounding loudspeakers.

I did sound for a fairly large Bluegrass Fest out here for over 10 years. I simply love Bluegrass and also on the sound side your not

dealing with stage volume issues at all. Very easy to reproduce good sound from Bluegrass.

One thing I have noticed is Rock or Bluegrass they simply cant never get enough of "ME" in the monitors :)

Archived