Vibrating projector

• Members

We have a projector installed up with the stage lights at this small venue. When the HVAC system is on, the projector develops a slight wobble that gets quite distracting. It's on a bar with a small handful of led cans. The whole thing forms a square with part of the rail lighting and is held up by all thread running to the ceiling (about 8 feet).

How could I get rid of the vibration?

I was considering making some trussing with some tensioned cables, very similar to how they do it with decks.

• Members

CLASSIC case of a poor installation. The allthread is just transmitting the vibration down from the roof structure, the only practical solution is to remount to a structure that is not vibrating.

I refuse to mount a projector from most ceiling structures like this. I have lost several jobs because of this, but those that got the jobs regretted it because the most common symptom is "poor focus" caused by the small movement smearing the image. Doesn't take much movement for the installations that I was doing (typical screen size was 12-20' wide). All of their profit went back into fixing their poor judgement, lack of understanding of mechanical systems (or willingness to say yes to anything in order to get the job away from me).

• Members

You can tell is was done on the cheap.

You don't think adding stiffness would at least reduce the vibration?

Any chance you can tie the rail to something stiffer than all thread? Maybe a length of iron pipe screwed into a flange that's bolted to something solid (ceiling joist)?

I'm going to stray away from changing how its mounted/mounting it to new stuff. I'd rather not get into that. Anyway, I'd think adding some cable trussing would make it stiffer than a straight (bigger) piece of pipe.

Archived