Crossovers when having choices

• Members

I know that trying different crossover points can make a huge difference in the outcome. I recently grabbed some JBL PRX 718xlf's and want to use them with some QSC HPR12i's. The subs have a crossover that hits at 100Hz but the output is at 120 hz The HPR's have processing in them and have a crossover set at 100 Hz. I can runs the subs with a full range out or with the crossover. Subs are usaually run hotter than the tops so it should fill some of the gap, but I'm curious as to the details as to what would be best. I know it's a try it and see which sounds best situation. I'm interested in the theory behind the options. Can someone explain it in layman's terms?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What are you asking, exactly?

I would venture to guess that there isn't much of a gap between the tops and subs to begin with. Depending on the crossover, it's not usually a very sharp slope ... so there's quite a bit of information passing below or above the crossover point. If you were to RTA the rig together, you may even see a bump between 100 and 120Hz where your mains and subs combine ...

PS I usually have a notch around 120Hz anyways. One of my least favourite frequencies.

Archived