Galaxy LA4 "line array" LOL

• Members

Just for yucks I picked up a couple of these cheap ($75 each) that had already been modded to stack (extra cup installed on the top of one) and I finally got to try them out tonight in my little XR12 based rig. I ran a single stack of these two stacked, over a pair of 8 ohm 15" subs using the two channels of an NU3000 with my XR12 mixer set to do a 24db/oct 125Hz crossover. The LA4's were significantly more efficient than expected - I had to boost the sub channel by 3 db to even them out (and these are efficient subs, half the ohms, and I'm not a "hot subs" guy). I guesstimated a 12db boost at 16KHz using a PEQ of Q=4 from the spec sheet and it was pretty close - nice clear highs, no feedback, and the LA4's were even maybe a bit "in your face" at the upper mids (JBLish :p ) but great for live sound. I need to fabricate a shorter pole and make it all tighter but I have a winner here :) . This was for a full four piece band (3 vocals, heavy hitting drummer, bass direct no amp, guitar, and keys direct no amp) in a medium-small venue (200 cap?) and I'd guesstimate it could have handled twice that no prob. The dispersion was so good that nobody noticed it was a single stack until I pointed it out ;) . With the two stacked for a total "hang length" of 3-1/2 feet they even start to be a real line array kinda sorta ;) .

I was previously using a pair of Behringer B208's but wanted to go with passive tops to cut down on the cabling - I already had the NU3000 in the rack for the subs. I've used Bose 802's in the past so am not a stranger to radical EQ ;) .

• Members
I ran a single stack of these two stacked' date=' over a pair of 8 ohm 15" subs using the two channels of an NU3000 with my XR12 mixer set to do a 24db/oct 125Hz crossover.[/quote']

Umm, last I checked, the XR series does not have any crossover functions included.

• Members
Umm' date=' last I checked, the XR series does not have any crossover functions included.[/quote']You can switch the six bands of PEQ on each bus to HPF's and/or LPF's ;) . They are only 12db/octave but you can "stack" a couple for 24db/octave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Took another look at the published curve and pulled down the 3K a bit with a G=1 PEQ and got rid of the "in your face-ness". I really have to take the rig outside and pink it but it's getting rave reviews so far :) .

BTW don't think I mentioned that these guys are only 15 lbs each. "Flown" over my 25 lb subs they were a real joy at the two load-outs I had to do this weekend.

Unfortunately lost a channel on my older NU3000. I'll swap it out for a Carvin DCM2004L I've had for some time but didn't use as it doesn't have TRS inputs :( - cables on order :). So my XR12 based FrankenBass rig/PA will only be 8KW now :( but have eight independant channels of amplification :) (up from six).

Archived