Yorkville NX55P Vs Yamaha DXR12

• Members

Hey people,

I got the chance to play a small acoustic gig with 2 Yamaha DXR 8 on poles behind me. The sound was really nice for some small boxes.

I have some Yorkville NX55P's and I'm considering some replacements for my 5 piece band, do you think the DXR 12's would be an improvement both in power and sound quality?

Thanks

• Members

Are you usually using subs or not for the 5 piece band? The NX55Ps do have a noticeably fuller/deeper sound out of the box than DXR12 when used full range - until it quickly runs out of excursion of course, but hi passed and used with subs handling the low end, I don't think you'll see a big difference between these two boxes. Processing on the DXRs is much better / more transparent, but overall I think you'll get similar overall performance if you're using subs.

• Members

We usually don't use subs when we use our own speakers. When we play bigger places, we usually have house sound. We use our kit for smaller pubs, where the bass cab handles the bass and we put a little kick in the mains. The mains are usually running keys, guitars and vocals.

• Members

Sounds like we have virtually identical use-cases for our NX55Ps.

I don't think the DXRs will be an upgrade, more of a sideways step. You want to make sure you keep the limiter light off. If your kick is lighting the limiter, you might try high-passing it around 50Hz.

• Members
Hmm' date=' what do you guys think would be a step up these days in the same size cab?[/quote']

Rent some PS12Ps. I think you'll hear a noticeable improvement. Make sure to limit the amount of kick you put through any 12" mains, however...

Al

• Members

I was thinking the same thing, Al. The PS12Ps look great on paper. We are getting a L&M in Kingston soon, I hope to rent a pair myself.

OP - another improvement that might work for you is a sub. Depends on exactly what you're trying to tune. "More Power" - subwoofer provides this.

Wes

• Members

Close enough..three miles north of the city limits. Thought you were out west. Not nearly as far west as I thought! I make it almost into your territory on occasion. Usually Hammond-hunting. Although I am currently prohibited from hunting. Apparently it's possible to have too many of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Another vote for the PS12P's. They are in my opinion a significant step up from the NX55P's or the Yammies mentioned.

I have used the PS12P's with my seven piece horn band on two separate occasions. Both times were in a club/pub room that was jam packed, sold out in fact. I had the kick and bass (and everything else) in the mix, and did not run subs - no budget, and frankly, no need. They have an insane amount of bottom, depending on the mode and crossover engagement. They also have multi band limiting (or something to that effect_ and won't kill your vocals, trying to tame the kick.

I also generally do two boat cruises in the summer (July 10th is my next one) using four PS15P's and one sub. Top outside deck of a boat, with about three hundred people partying. Very impressed with PS series - especially since you can rent them if you're in Canada. BTW when I rent the PS12P's I use NX55P's for monitors. My U15's are parked at a house gig until I can sell them... hopefully to the club.

• Members

The multiband limiting seems to be the killer feature for the PS12Ps when used in a bar band context. I do have to be careful with the NX55Ps, if the kick hits the limiter, the vocals sound like crap. Luckily, as my band has been getting better (and my mixing getting better) ... the vocals don't need to be nearly as loud for the mix to sound right. Go figure!

Archived