Pete Traynor R.I.P.

• Members

Wow, another one gone.

My first PA was a Traynor. It survived a practice space fire, and kept on ticking until I sold it.

As for guitar amps, I used to rent Bandmasters and Dual Showmans when I was a kid, but I bought a Traynor for my first real road trip - which lasted three years! That amp made it through three truck accidents including a rollover. It also endured thousands of miles in a van or back of a one ton. As well, it was in use, six nights a week, fifty weeks a year for as I said, three years. I never changed the tubes and didn't do any maintenance on it. Sold it when I got off the road, with no complaints from the new owner. I remember I was running a two 12" cab and later added another dual 15" cab. Probably running it at the wrong ohms but the amp never quit... It had that Traynor sound, that either worked for you or didn't, but man were they built well. and they were affordable as well.

RIP Pete.

• Moderators

"He became somewhat famous for the crash tests he performed — throwing his amps off the second storey of the building, then replacing the glass tubes and seeing if they’d still work. If they passed the test, he put them into production, confident they could handle the abuse of a rock show."

I've told this story a number of times at HC [and elsewhere]. His salesman did this at Buddy and Bonen's on 48th while I was there around 1970...tossed it out the window, brought it back, shook out the glass, replaced the tube, plugged it in and it worked...great sales 'pitch'!

I had a Traynor bass amp for a while when I played bass in the mid 70s. Great gear, interesting sound.

RIP Peter Traynor, you did good!

• Members

The first tube amps I ever worked on were Traynor. I appreciated the schematic being pasted on the inside of the easily removable top cover.

IMG_1584-640x427.jpg

Well designed, well built and easy to repair, Traynor amps set the standard for me.

from the link in the OP...

"He got hired as the repair man by Jack Long at Long & McQuade’s original store at Yonge and Yorkville. “He was, on top of everything else, the best amplifier repair man there ever was,” Long says of the “free spirit” customer he hired in a time of need."

Thanks Pete.

Archived