mixer vs usb interface, which one???

• Members

I need to mix a stage piano and a laptop (using some vsts) , and I want both to come out stereo.

So I figured simply a small mixer or (most tempting) maybe a cheap usb interface with 2 channels would let me plug the piano in and mix it with the vsts, this also improving the laptop´s performance (its a cheap one).

My current options, given my budget (I can spend just a little more though) are:

-Behringer Umc 22

-Presonous Audiobox

-Behringer xenyx 505 (mixer)

Vst I use dont have stability nor latency problems anyway, but maybe with an interface I can get to use some others, currently not supported...

I need to know: will the stage piano live audio performance be compromised by quality of the outputs of those usb interfaces? can they really come out stereo? there may be delay or something? Or is it better to just go analog mixer?

Another advantage/disadvantage I may not be realizing...? What do you believe is the best way to go?

Thanks in advance! thumb.gif

Pd. If anyone needs to know to help, the gear is: Kawai mp6, pair of 8" samson auro and some really modest intel 1.6gh, 2g RAM running kontakt and reason sounds.

• Members

My monitor situation is controlled by a small Yamaha mixer. I can plug several mono and stereo signals into the mixer and bring up what I want to hear when I want to hear it.

I like having my piano go through to the monitors whether or not the computer is turned on. If you are using it live and, for whatever reason your computer does not work, you can still play your piano.

My recommendation would be to go with a mixer.

• Members

Latency can be a fickle thing. If you add or run more VSTi's it may increase. If the computer is used for anything else other than your performance, I'd not trust it's reliability nor consistency. Another vote for the mixer.

Archived