Using a ZX5 90 as a sub and 2 zxa1's as mains

• Members

I was wondering if it is possible to use a regular EV ZX5 90 (regulary used as a main / 15inch woofer in speaker as well as a tweeter)? I currently seemed to have adopted a drummer (In past always have used percussionist), me on guitar and vocals upright bass and sax/flute. In the past I have been using the zx5 90's as mains and zx1as as monitors for smaller set ups, and then throughing two subs and a crossover for bigger shows. I want a nice clear instrumental seperation for small venues as well as not so much gear. So I am wondering if using one of my ZX5 90'S as a sub would be alright for the speaker while using the other ZX5 90 as a monitor and using the 2 zx1a's as mains of course i would use a crossover to achieve frequency seperation. Please let me know what u think about this configuration, its basically a street gig so if it isn't really doable I will just stick with the zx5 90's as mains just seems kind of squished to have all frequency going through those speakers, wasn't an issue til I started using drummer... Please help if you can

• Members

I would expect the ZX5s to not make very good subs. The ZXA1 subs are 12" speakers but they are designed for below 100 Htz. I'm using a pair of the ZXA1 subs and ZXA1s for my PA mains and they sound very sweet and fit into most trunks, but they are about $2500 worth of powered speakers. And while you probably see some groups using the Bose towers, the EVs are about 10 db louder. (Measured maximum spl.)

Archived