Sound Tech vs. Sound Engineer

• Members

What is the 'official' difference between the two?

I can set up and run small sound systems for general production with some reasonable confidence I can make it sound good and not blow it up. I'm easy to work with and consistently get good reviews. I consider myself a Sound Tech. A number of my peers in the area title themselves as Engineers -- we have comparable experience and level of production. It obviously sounds more professional, but what separates an Audio Engineer from a sound tech?

• Members

I have some friends who are University educated Mechanical and Electrical Engineers and wear the pinky rings. They object to the term Sound Engineer.

Even though some other people I know are fantastic audio guys - mainly because of their ears - with lots of experience and knowhow, I hesitate to use the term Engineer simply out of respect for the pinky rings. This is especially true when referring to myself.

Some people who design sound systems would fit the role of engineer and I would use the term for them. agedhorse comes to mind but, from what I have read in his posts, I would guess he has the pinky ring too.

• Members

I'm with onelife on this one -- engineers have iron rings, a university degree, and a P.Eng certificate. The biggest difference between and engineer and a guy doing the same work? Liability! The engineer's stamp comes with personal liability for the consequences of your decisions.

I hate the term "software engineer", even though that is my field. I use terms like "software developer" and "system architect".

Wes

• Members
I'm with onelife on this one -- engineers have iron rings, a university degree, and a P.Eng certificate. The biggest difference between and engineer and a guy doing the same work? Liability! The engineer's stamp comes with personal liability for the consequences of your decisions.

I hate the term "software engineer", even though that is my field. I use terms like "software developer" and "system architect".

Wes

noun 1. a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering : a mechanical engineer; a civil engineer.

2. a person who operates or is in charge of an engine.

3. Also called locomotive engineer. Railroads. a person who operates or is in charge of a locomotive.

4. a member of an army, navy, or air force specially trained in engineering work.

5. Digital Technology. a person skilled in the design and programming of computer systems: a software engineer; a web engineer.

6. a skillful manager: a political engineer.

• Members
I hate the term "software engineer"' date=' even though that is my field. I use terms like "software developer" and "system architect".[/quote']

My son recently graduated from university with a Master's Degree in Computer Science and got hired as a software engineer with Google. I'm hoping he gets to meet and possibly work with Ray Kurzweil.

He got interested in computers back when I was working as a CNE (Certified Netware Engineer) hooking computers up so that they could talk to each other. I believe he is much more qualified to call himself an engineer than I ever was.

• Members

Interesting question. Although no degree in the field was offered when I was college age, I sometimes consider myself an engineer. Other times I call myself a technician (I take titles with a grain of salt). That said I also have little respect for formal education papers. I couldn't count the number of trained idiots out in the world mucking it up. Yes education IS IMPORTANT but it's source can come from many places ( universities are just one of them).

OK now that I've dissed a some of the formally educated folks here (it was not intentional), I DO respect great stores of knowledge and ability (I'm referring to those here I may have offended - sorry :). I never said all formally trained people were idiots. I just don't weight my personal opinion of someone on a piece of paper as much as many. Sorry for the minor digression from the OP :).

Kike M has a good take on the situation :).

just my .02

• Members

I went to electronics school mainly to learn about audio. I found Electromagnetic Physics a bit of a challenge but it gave me a solid foundation to build on.

As for being a "sound engineer", I learned most of what I know by hanging around with people who were really good at it.

Archived