RIP Merle Haggard

• Members

Ridden hard, put away wet a few too many times. It's really amazing he lived as long as he did.

I was lucky to have worked with him a few times, once on a show as a guest with Buck Owens (they were both from Kern County/Bakersfield area) and Merle actually recorded with Buck's wife in the 50's. He was one of the real legends, not so much for how well he played or sung but for what he wrote and the stories he told. There are some real parallels to Kris Kristofferson this way.

God speed Merle, and may your monitor mix be good up there ;)

• Members
I think my favorite song he did was "The bottle let me down" a true country classic. Wish I had seen him live as he was a legend so many of the greats are passing.

Yes, later on in life he lived up in Shasta and then up near Red Bluff I think. I also recall that he ended up marrying Buck Owen's former wife. He had a lot of marriages though, so I could be confused.

• Members

Yes, later on in life he lived up in Shasta and then up near Red Bluff I think. I also recall that he ended up marrying Buck Owen's former wife. He had a lot of marriages though, so I could be confused.

He! He! That may be what finally did him in :). Did a solo act with him about 10 years ago and although a little sleepy for my tastes, he was a good performer and (as stated) great writer. Pretty charismatic on the stage as well.

RIP Merle.

Archived