Keith Emerson

• Members

RIP KEITH EMERSON- It is with profound sadness I have to report the death of Keith Emerson last night in Santa Monica, CA. Below is the official statement from Carl Palmer:

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.

Carl Palmer

March 11, 2016

• Members

Bill, I am devastated by that news. ELP was my #1 band of all time. One of the best memories of my life was going to the local arena twenty years ago when they were headlining a show. A friend was also playing that night so I went with him. As we walked in, we hot to sit in a totally empty 10,000 arena, on the front row, ten feet from stage and watch them do their hour of sound check. They did pieces of every song I loved. I sat directly in front of Greg Lake and looked him in the eye as he played. By that time of course, Palmer was gone and they had Cozy Powell. I saw them several times before, but they were still as great as in the seventies when I first saw them. When it ended, I walked backstage and passed Cozy sitting on a road case and playing drums on his lap and case. He was approachable and friendly. Then I saw Keith standing there, leaning alone against the wall. I walked up said hi, shook his hand, and stood there trembling in awe of possibly the best musician I ever watched perform (and believe there a lot of them.) We talked for a little while, just the two of us. He was a quiet gentleman, a world class talent, and very kind to stop and talk to an unknown like me. I have cherished that moment ever since. RIP to a pioneer with talent that comes along once or twice a century. I am in shock. Peace...

• Members

Keith Emerson was a big influence on me as a piano player. His fusion of classical and rock styles and using his piano chops on the B3 and Moog Synthesizer helped me realize that it's all just music and personal expression.

It's time for another listen to "Trilogy."

[video=youtube;LoQFP-qSEnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQFP-qSEnQ

• Members

From Wikipedia...

"Emerson acquired his first Hammond organ, an L-100model, at the age of 15 or 16, on hire purchase.

The flamboyance for which Emerson would be later noted began quite by chance when a fight broke out during a performance by the V.I.P.s in France. Instructed by the band to keep playing, he produced some explosion and machine-gun sounds with the Hammond organ, which stopped the fight. The other band members told him to repeat the stunt at the next concert, which he did with success."

• Members

I saw them with an 80 piece orchestra. I hope one day that music like this returns to mainstream instead of what the record

companies are jamming down the radio waves these days.

Keith rose up unto the stage on an elevator while playing. I love Brain Salad Surgery, and Trilogy.

• Members

Truly an innovator & pioneer of electronic/fusion music. I didn't think he was that old. I just worked with Carl Palmer (Asia) a couple of years ago. He's still going strong.

Kieth will be missed but his musical soul lives on.

• Members

I wore out The Nice albums with Keith Emerson, even though I was a guitar player. I credit their influence as one of the reasons I find working with odd time signatures and different genres as relatively easy. When he later joined ELF I was very happy that Mr. Emerson had found a platform to further showcase his talent and his name.

Sad news, but it seems to be happening all over. RIP.

Archived