God the toys are getting feature filled and cheap

• Members

Was looking around for a new toy and started to check out the new wifi enabled mixers from various manufacturers. I was most intrigued by Behringers XR18. At $700 it offers a really decent set of features. Almost pulled the trigger while in a GC the other day, but the lack of security for the wifi really left it lacking. Everybody has a smart phone these days and the thought of letting the muso's control their own monitor mix is a big deal to me......hehehehehe can't blame me for it. But to get that kind of control I would need to go to one of the next level up mixers. I see that the new TF series from Yamaha allows up to 10 separate mixes from the desk. What others allow that in the $2000-3000 range?

• Members

Well, it is not a total lack of security, just an outdated one. If you get an XR18, just do what everyone else does - run an external WAP with better security and 5Ghz option. You will be far better off. As for features/$, it is hard to top the XR18. I own one and have installed a few with good result.

• Members

The X18 is even cheaper after its price drop and gives the same features of the XR-18. Aux outs are 1/4" instead of XLR and the line 17/18 are RCA instead of 1/4". I'd strongly consider one of those to save the money if in the market.

• Members

I've been checking them all out. What I would like to be able to do is to only let the muso's have control of their individual monitor mix.Even if you use a dual band router, they would be able to screw with the FOH mix. Not my rig! lol To get to that type of control I'm guessing that I need to go up a level or two.I'm not a networking person. But it seems to me that being able to limit the control of what they can access would take some work within the program itself. Perhaps a much better router. And I am familiar with the benefits of 5K as far as congestion is concerned. I see that the new Yamaha TF series is capable, but from $800 to $3200 is quite a difference. I can see where the XR18 would be great for a practice rig or one where you trust the muso's. Dedmeet I take it your experiences have been good so far?

• Members

Bugzie,

Yes, overall, my experiences with the XR18 have been very positive, but not perfect. My #1 complaint is that the software experience for the mixer is different on nearly every platform. The good news is that there *is* software for more than one platform, so you are not locked into just using an iPad. I have run shows on my XR18 using Windows laptops, multiple Android devices (tablets and phones), and an iPad and all have worked fine. My standard deployment is a wired laptop near the mixer and a cheap 7 inch Android tablet for tweaking and sound check.

If you want remote control via wireless and the ability to restrict access per mix, for the moment you have to go up a class into the X32 rack and its competitors in that price/class range.

Archived