• Members

What is your choice for IEM's?

I'm currently using the Sennheiser systems, and am very pleased with the performance and durability, but can't help but wonder what else is out there.

Also, how about earbuds? There doesn't seem to any consensus there. I've got some users that swear by Ultimate, some just as passionate about Westone and others such as 1964, JH, etc. Others say there's no need for those high dollar custom molds, the universal models are just fine. I do have the cheap universals with replaceable tips and a supply of tips as "loaners", but I'm often asked for advice, which I don't think I'm qualified to supply.

I know that I couldn't get universals to stay in my ears, but am quite pleased with custom Westones. But I have no direct experience with any other custom molds.

• Members

We tried both Shure and Sennheiser and always leaned toward Sennheiser. They felt more sturdy and "seemed" to have better sound quality if that is possible. As for buds, we also tried several brands but landed on UE Pro customs. The people that said there was no need for customs have just never tried them maybe. You can get a universal to sound okay as long as you get it rammed in there real good. As soon as you move too quickly or start to sweat those things lose what little seal they had to begin with and sound thin. It's all about the seal between the bud and your ear canal and the only way to really get that right is a custom mold to your ear. It immediately adds more low end and fullness in general to your mix. My opinion only of course.

• Members

The Sennheiser G3 IEM is a good choice for most people. Until you have a need (and the money) to step up to PSM1000 systems or similar, I think the G3 is the way to go. The Shure systems usually include halfway decent universal ear buds though, the ones that come with the G3 are definitely not awesome.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any well-made custom molded buds will be better than any universal fit buds, but that's just my opinion. That's not to say that universal buds can't sound good, but the fit and isolation of custom buds is really nice. I use Shure SE315's with the gray foam most of the time, but only because they're usually going in and out of my ears a lot. When I'm mixing monitors for a show that's all ears, I'll use molded buds.

I've had good experiences with Sensaphonics, both the products and the people. The silicon flexes a little as I move, which I think helps keep them comfortable and stay sealed, and they're very interested in making sure everything they make works well for you. Most other people I know in my area use Alclair, probably because they're fairly close geographically, but I've heard good things. A couple friends of mine have had good luck with Etymotics buds with Sensaphonics tips, although those stick out a little far for my taste.

• Members

The price of the PSM1000 is breathtaking compared to the Sennheiser. What is the value you get for the difference?

The Sennheiser's certainly have been rugged and reliable, the sound quality doesn't get any complaints.

I'm sure that the buds make a much bigger difference in audio quality, and of course they are very difficult to A-B. Getting a good seal (which is pretty much a given with custom molds) is probably the most important part of the puzzle from my observation.

• Members

Just off the top of my head, when compared to the Sennheiser G3 the PSM1000 is quieter, more rugged, a stronger RF section, more systems can be used simultaneously, and since it's a dual unit, you can put double the number of transmitters on the same size combiner. And it can use the same lithium batteries and chargers as ULXD mics. It's a really nice system, but you definitely pay for it.

For most people, the Sennheiser system is all you need. I see the G3 systems used more often than anything else, even on the national touring acts I work with. It sounds good and it works. I think it's better than anything else near it's price range. There's a reason it's popular.

The Sennheiser stuff is the only system I know of that will allow you to run 2 separate mono mixes to 2 packs on 1 transmitter, which is a great feature for anyone on a budget. In that respect, they have everyone else beat.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

For way less you can get the PSM 900 which is basically the same system as PSM1000 without bells and whistles. Compare the specs, I'm 100% sure it's the same sound and RF system. I got mine secondhand for 1/2 new street price, and thus noe need to look for alternatives. Sound quality and stability is top notch!

• Members

Getting a good seal (which is pretty much a given with custom molds) is probably the most important part of the puzzle from my observation.

That's pretty much my experience. The only way you will get a good seal at frequencies below 100Hz is with the deep ear penetration you get from custom molds.

• Members
Just off the top of my head' date=' when compared to the Sennheiser G3 the PSM1000 is quieter ...[/quote']

I haven't used the new PSM1000 so I cannot comment on it. But I can comment on the G3s, which are noisy. But there is a tremendous benefit to that noise.

Sennheiser elected to leave out the compander circuitry (noise reduction system). You you get a system that sounds much more like a wired system but is a bit noisier. For rock groups the noise level isn't particularly problematic and can usually be traded for the sonic purity you get as a result. But it does require that you maximize the gain structure when using the G3.

As digital systems become available both of these problems will go away. Analog radio has some serious limitations ;)

• Members

I hope whatever your next venture is... it's Line 6-style wireless IEM belt packs. My band is currently using two Line 6 guitar thingies and a Line 6 XD-V75 mic. We love 'em. The mic is very feedback-resistant, although I spent 15 minutes listening to ~800Hz sine waves on Saturday night. I suspect the DJ mixing the band does not understand anything other than the bluntest of tools for these problems...and I suspect his monitor sends are all post-fader.

• Members
I hope whatever your next venture is... it's Line 6-style wireless IEM belt packs.

For the record, I haven't worked at Line6 for just about one year. Yamaha bought them a couple of years ago and absorbed their wireless technologies. I expect you'll see Yamaha branded wireless in the near future.

Currently I'm back in the recording studio business. Well at least some variant of it. We are just about ready to make it public. When we do I'll spam it here and let you all know what it is ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Although I've never had the custom molds made, my guess is it's a lot like many things in audio. The physical/environmental issues get overlooked because audio manufacturers don't make money fixing acoustics, making ear molds, allowing for proper placement etc....

If ear molds are 90% of the final formula. Sure would rather sell you a higher priced pair of buds (which is a band aid to the real problem - leakage). I can't count the number of rooms I've worked in that had excessive P.A. but zero room treatment (people selling audio gear don't sell curtains). A mid quality headworn mic sounds FAR better than the best lavaliere (just due to it's proximity to the source) yet there are some very pricey lavs out there (good idea for broadcast though). It's amazing what people will sell to those who don't know better (of course sometimes the sales people don't know better either :)).

Archived