Dual mono , is this crazy????

• Members

Ok,

here is the scenario ...

I have recently purchased a new QSC Touchmix 16 digital mixer that I am starting to wrap my head around.

initially I was not sure if I really liked the sound...

i had been using a soundcraft MXI analog console and an AH Zed small console...

i guess I got used to that sound, but the new QSC was very clear and detailed and I had to rethink how to approach my 70's style live band mix....

i never realized how much the little bit of color and grit of the analog console thickened the sound..or maybe colored it?

there was just a distinct difference in that vs the new Touchmix.

for weeks I tried to A/B there sound vs each other to try and make some kind of evaluation as to which to continue to mix with.

at the end of the day I went with the Touchmix 16.

it did reveal some ugly truths about my AKG D5 mic and my ELX 12p but it was an honest evaluation and has given me a good lesson in learning how to fine tune my EQ.

THIS is not a bash in any way of those microphones or speakers!

They actually punch above their weight for the value they deliver at their price point ,and have been rock solid.

So Now,

on to my question....

if I wanted to double my input channels on my QSC 16 AND Have 2 inputs on my powered mains AND THOSE MAINS HAVE LINK OUTS ...

AND I input 2 QSC 16 mixers into one speaker and then link out to another speaker ,would that be a dual mono mix?

and also would their be a better value in another mixer that had a higher channel count with similar features?

this route would give 40 channels at 2800 $

I hope I am explaining this enough ,I'm not an expert,but have improved our sound light years from what it used to be, and I always would like to learn more!!!!

Thanks!,,

Tommy.

• Members

Well it will work, make sound and not blow up. But to my way of thinking it will be very confusing to run. You would have to have every speaker hooked up this way to be able to get a complete monitor mix and your chances of screwing up the mix would be greatly increased.

If it were me I would take the $2800 and buy a sound craft, A&H or even Behringer mixer with 32 inputs rather than piecemeal some contraption. You'll end up hating your choice pretty quickly.

• CMS Author

If...I input 2 QSC 16 mixers into one speaker and then link out to another speaker ,would that be a dual mono mix?

No. A dual mono system is two channels independent (linked in no way) of each other and carrying unrelated signals. So lead vocal on one channel, lead guitar on the other. The difference between this and stereo is the stereo pair are linked, and their material is related...the vocal is panned 60/40 left while the guitar is centered, for instance. In a dual mono rig, there's no panning between the two channels.

Don and Andy are spot-on, as usual; your idea will 'work' from the standpoint, of signals-in, sound-out, but a disaster to set up, use or explain to anyone else who may need to run it.

Archived