RCF EVOX 12 and the search for a small, light system

• Members

Was wondering has anyone checked out the new RCF EVOX 12 System? The line array aspect of it deafly intrigues me but more than that the fact that it's small and light which is something I'm on the search for for my wedding/corporate band.

I need a system that is adequate for your typical wedding hall and hotel ballroom/Conference hall. Something where kick has good thump and has a Full overall sound in a small footprint. Right now I've got ZLX 12 's with ZXA1 subs which I think work for a small light stripped-down acoustic system or small DJ system but are not adequate for my full band. I know I can add single 18 subs instead of the powered 12's but honestly I don't think the ZLX's can handle all the low mids, mids and Highs effectively.

Basically we want a small light yet great sounding PA and we have the budget. But let's just say will try to keep it to about $3000 per side to start. This is just for speakers as we have everything else taken care of. Any insights are appreciated thanks.

• Members

I only have evox 8. I think evox 12 is too big/heavy and defeat the purpose of portability. And for evox 8 with 120 degree of horizontal coverage, one speaker setup may be enough for small gigs which further extends its portability.

• Members

well ya know I'm a 7 piece band. The 12 is a lot smaller than anything anyone I know is using for a band. This is a corporate/wedding band with full lights, video, a van trailer, etc etc. I'm just interested in whether it can hang and sound full enough. If you're going to still hear the bass 50 feet out etc.

• Members

For that kinda money 2 JBL SRX12P and 1 JBL SRX828SP (can mount wheels on it) or 2 single 18's.... I think they will hear it 50 feet out indeed. Since you have a van trailer and all....... Perhaps it's too big for your liking but it will not lack in big sound. Good luck in your endeavor!

• Members

I tried it out in store when it came out. The price was sharp (from memory about A$5000 for the pair of the larger ones, although I can't find that price now).

it didn't sound loud enough for a wedding band though - it would probably just do a wedding DJ. The shop guys agreed and said they'd more recommend it for acoustic acts. Not really sure whether doubling up could help.

edit: I just realised the 12 is a new model. I tried the biggest one at the time - the 8. The 12 would be worth a listen but I still don't reckon it'd do what you're describing.

• Members

Did you listen to the Yamaha DXS15? I have the ZXA1 sub and between the two there is no comparison. I do like the zxa1 for the fact I can easily throw it in the car and it sounds good at moderate levels. Even the DXS12 would be a very noticeable difference in output compared to what your using.

• Members

If you've got the space why not just get two good 12" speakers that have "long throw"?

I just did a gig in a medium sized club, with 150 to 200 people in attendance. They couldn't get their house system (very nice Adamson stuff) working so I rushed down to L&M and grabbed a couple of Yorkville PS12P's. Second time I have tried this series and was again, blown away (as were the guys in the eight piece band). No subs but I did mic kick and bass anyway. Fairly loud volume but didn't even hit the limit lights. I was using them in Club Mode, but apparently in Concert Mode you get a few more dB out of the horn and a longer throw (a misnomer but commonly used). Super easy to carry two if using the top handles.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/21680/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/Parasource_4400_Watt_Peak_12-Inch_Horn_Active_PA_Cabinet.htm

I would imagine that RCF, JBL and so on would make similar lightweight (40 lbs) speakers, that with or even without a sub, would beat the pants off the EVOX system, and not weigh all that much more.

• Members

The OP had a similar thread on Gearslutz and ended up ....

"

Guys we've decided to go with the new Presonus AI speakers and RM32AI system. We're selling our X32. I know it's not smaller or lighter but it sounds incredible for the money and form factor. Thanks!

• Members

Some of you guys have strange thoughts about how loud a wedding band should be. At 130 db max spl, it should be ok for small to medium sized clubs for Rock and Roll. Plenty for the weddings I've played. (Not the $10,000 band gigs.) But at $5K, they are about twice the price of ZXA1s with matching subs from EV. I've got one of those and have run Jazz through them outdoors, Rock indoors with horns. and they're measured max spl of 128 db. (And they will fit in the trunk of most mid-sized cars.) Just something else to look at.

• Members
The OP had a similar thread on Gearslutz and ended up ....

"

Guys we've decided to go with the new Presonus AI speakers and RM32AI system. We're selling our X32. I know it's not smaller or lighter but it sounds incredible for the money and form factor. Thanks!

Oh yea sorry guys!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I own a pair of Evox 8's and a pair of Evox 12's. I agree the Evox 8's work for a wedding DJ but not for a wedding band. The Evox 12's are much louder and will work for a wedding band. The sound is full range with a good thump for kick drum. Bass response is good well beyond 50 feet. Evox 8 has 120 degree sound dispersion and is more suitable for using as monitor/FOH by placing behind the band. Evox 12 has 90 degree dispersion which limits using as monitors on a tight stage. Feedback issues are minimal/none with correct mic and speaker top placement with either system. However, I will place the Evox 12's in front of the band for weddings and use in-ear monitors. The SPL is too high to place behind the band for a wedding gig. My ears would be trashed long before I could get the systems to clip. Portability is not an issue. The subs of the Evox 12's have handles and wheels. The sub weighs 64 pounds in the Evox bag. The top weighs 25 lbs in the bag. The subs have top and side handles that are ergonomically placed. The sub can be easily lifted into a vehicle using one hand. I've got traditional sub/top systems that are now going up for sale or will see limited duty. This is currently the best portable line array system available. I've got Bose L1 Model II's with double B2's, and K-Array KB1's, and the Evox 12 is much louder with better sound quality. I don't know about the Bose F1 but I don't like the footprint and I doubt Bose has mastered thump yet since I didn't get it from B2's.

• Members

Hello:

Some of the talk on this thread speaks of a rig being loud enough for a DJ but not loud enough for a wedding band. I am a bit confused by these comments. On my sound provider gigs I have found that DJ gigs need far more rig (especially in the sub dept) than live band gigs.

(Maybe if the band has electric drums and everyone on stage is going direct with no instrument cabs on stage......)

Am I the only one to feel this way?

Mike M

• Members
Hello:

Some of the talk on this thread speaks of a rig being loud enough for a DJ but not loud enough for a wedding band. I am a bit confused by these comments. On my sound provider gigs I have found that DJ gigs need far more rig (especially in the sub dept) than live band gigs.

(Maybe if the band has electric drums and everyone on stage is going direct with no instrument cabs on stage......)

Am I the only one to feel this way?

Mike M

I feel the opposite. Especially at a wedding, I think that recorded music can more "thump" more sufficiently with less gear than live music. A DJ doesn't really need the earth-shaking subs for such gigs. But a live band still needs that kick drum to thump.

I've found our JBL PRX system to be sufficient for all but the largest rooms. Maybe one out of 20 have I wished we had more PA. Shows for 100-200 people in rooms that size they are fine. Much bigger than that and they get pushed too hard.

Our sound engineer has taken to bringing his own Danley speakers he purchased about a year ago. I think it's a pair of TH118T subs with SM60s on top. Passive and a bit pricey. Not what I'd choose if I was hauling around the system myself, but they DO sound nice!

• Members

It's not about Volume. It never really is. In fact my criteria is a full, pleasing sound at moderate to low volume for most wedding and private corporate events. That said the best sounding system by far at a moderate cost, and I have demoed EVERY ONE OF THEM in the past few months is the new Presonus AI Line. In fact we dumped our X32 and got a full Presonus system consisting of RM32 and RM16 Mixers run in series, a pair of the 18 subs and the 328I tops. Unbelievable rig....Not the lightest but best sounding for our needs. As needs arise, we plan to but more of these systems.

• Members

No, it should never be about "volume", per se. It's about sound quality and efficiency. And having the right gear for your specific needs. I don't think I've ever measured a system for "max spl" or whatever. It either sounds good and does what I need it to do, or it doesn't.

Nice to hear you found the right system for you! thu.gif

Archived