EV EKX18sp vs JBL PRX718xlf and QSC KW181's?

• Members

Hi,

I'm still looking to upgrade my subs at some point and have heard lots of good things about the JBL PRX718xlf and QSC KW181 in particular as they've been around longer than the EV EKX's. I've heard the QSC KW181's (with KW153 tops) recently at a small outdoor festival and was quite impressed with how big an area they filled soundwise - noticeably more than my ELX118p's.

I've been told the PRX718XLF's go deeper and sound "more musicalwhilst the QSC's have more thump?

I've narrowed my list down to these as they are powered and all weigh under 40kg.

Recently EV released the EKX18sp and I'm wondering if anyone has heard how these compare to the PRX718xlf's and QSC KW181's? There are a few very positive user reviews of the EKX18sp's coming through at Sam Ash, ZZ Sounds and Amazon but I'd like to know how they compare to my ELX 118p's and the JBL's and QSC's.

Price wise there is a reasonable difference in price between all these models :-

EV EKX18sp - £1499 per pair

JBL PRX718xlf - £1910 per pair

QSC KW181's - £2130 per pair

On paper there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in specs. The JBL's would appear to go a little lower but I'd like to know how they perform for real.

Does anyone have any real world experience with more than one of these models?

I do like my EV ELX118p's but would love to have something that goes a little louder to keep up with my DXR15 tops and go deeper (without sounding boomy/muddy) with more punch.

Anyone heard the EKX18sp's and either the PRX718xlf's or KW181's?

• Members

The SRX818's look great but are completely out of my budget at £2700 per pair! The ETX's are actually slightly cheaper than the QSC KW181's but weigh over 50kg! That would be too heavy for me to carry by myself in situations where the ground is unsuitable for wheels.

I wasn't aware that the QSC KW181's don't have a built in HPF which puts me off as I don't want to limit the options when I come to upgrade my tops at some point.

Think it's down to either the EKX18sp or PRX718xlf.

Anyone had experience with both of these?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been reading up and speaking to various dealers and the common opinion and pros/cons (unless I'm mis-reading things) are :-

QSC KW181 (£1067 each)

• Loudest and punchiest of the three
  • Has built in castors
  • No HPF (but not an issue with my DXR15's)
  • Heaviest of the bunch (40kg)

JBL PRX718XLF (£955 each)

• Deepest bass extension
  • Has built in HPF
  • Biggest of the three subs
  • No castors
  • Noisy fans?

EV EKX18sp (£749 each)

• Lightest of the bunch
  • Cheapest of the three
  • Has built in HPF
  • Smallest of the three
  • Almost as loud as the QSC KW181 (apparently)

I'm hoping to get to hear all three of these for myself in the next few weeks so will be able to form my own opinion. Most people say the EKX18sp has a noticeably higher output and more punch and depth than the ELX118p. If this is the case, it could well be enough for my DXR15's. Looking forward to hearing and trying these subs for myself. Will report back after I've tried them out.

• Members
The KW181 most certainly has an integrated HPF... perhaps you mean LPF (as in crossover).

If you are going to make comparisons, you need to get your facts right or get better information from the dealers.

Actually, the KW181 does not have a High Pass option on the pass-through connections. While I loved my old KW181, I have a PRX718XLF on the way to go with my PRX612m cabs as together they will function better as a system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been doing some measurements and noticed that the JBL PRX718XLF's will be too big to fit into the back of my small van with the rest of my gear and the QSC's may also be a struggle. The EV EKX18sp's will just about fit. As a result I'm going to check out a much smaller and higher quality rig (plus higher budget) to see how that compares to my current system. Whilst it's smaller and much lighter, it uses high quality Fatial Pro drivers and Hypex amps and are made by a more bespoke company.

http://www.shermann.com/Data-Colours/BLUE-Rig.pdf

If this smaller rig won't be enough then I'll be looking at getting the EKX18sp subs!

• Members

OP,

I have owned both the KW181 and the PRX718XLF and frankly loved them both. Right now, I only have the PRX718XLF, but only because it plays nice with my PRX612M tops. I have run many a show with KW181 on subs and KW153 for mains and the combo is one of my favorite rigs for Jazz. A plus to the KW181 is that it comes with casters and the sub pole.

Either sub would be a good pairing with your DXR15. Sounds like the physical constraints of your transportation have made the decision for you anyway. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Used the KW181's at the weekend and they were seriously impressive!! We used these in one of our regular venues and when we started to do the sound check everyone was doing a double take at the sheer power and sound that was coming out of these subs!! These subs go much louder and have a lot more punch than the EV ELX118p's. They also sound less wooly and have more definition. The limiter didn't flicker once all night!!

Very happy with these subs :)

Archived