Need Advice On Upgrading Stage Monitors

• Members

Hi, we currently are using a pair of Community CSX28-S2 10" 2-way monitors powered by a really old Crown Power Base 1 amp in our youth ministry.

Our main speakers sound very nice (Pair of SRX738 Mains and Pair of SRX728S Subs), especially since we added DIY acoustic panels in the room to tame the echo.

The sound from our monitors however is pathetic. I'm not sure if it's the speakers, the amp or a combo of both.

I'm looking on my local Craigslist and found a few things I believe should be a considerable upgrade from our current Community Monitors and Crown Power Base 1 amp.

Here is what I found

JBL Pro Series Speakers barely used for 6 months , like new.

JBL Main or Monitor 2 Way Speaker 12" JRX 112M / 2 units available /150.00 each

JBL Main Speaker 15" PRX 415M / 2 units available / 300.00 each

JBL Subwoofer 18" PRX 418S / 2 units available / 400.00 each

Crown Amp XTi 1002 300.00

Crown Amp XT1 2002 400.00

Crown Amp XTi 4002 600.00

Also there is another seller with (3) JBL MP415 M-Pro monitors.

I do not know how these three JBL Monitors compare.

I'm thinking the Crown XTI 1002 should sound better than the Crown Base 1 amp.

I have $700 cash available to spend right now.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Michael

• CMS Author

Don't bother with the amp, it's fine, and doesn't affect sound performance to any noticeable degree. You need better speakers, and the PRX and M-Pro are big improvements over what you have now.

If you find yourself with more cash, upgrade the amps later, but only because they'll be lighter and might have more features.

• Members
Don't bother with the amp, it's fine, and doesn't affect sound performance to any noticeable degree.

If you find yourself with more cash, upgrade the amps later, but only because they'll be lighter and might have more features.

I'll also offer: If you have the need to up the power, could justify upgrading the amp... I believe the Powerbase1 is rated 200W stereo 8 ohms. "More power" is one thing amplifier-wise that can affect sound performance to a noticeable degree. Of-course, on that same note: More power used with abandon can affect the sound performance to an extremely noticeable degree... especially concerning the speakers.

• Members
I'd be quite fine with 200w per speaker for monitors in the OP's intended use. If he was planning for a touring setup on big stages with longer throw and levels' date=' I'd certainly go bigger than that, but as it stands, given budget and use, he's okay with the Powerbase 1.[/quote']

Agreed.

As I recall I owned and used a pair of Community CSX28-S2 monitors back 5 - 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure they were loaded with 12" cones... they were in cosmetically rough shape when I got them... but they worked "fine". I stripped them down and re-covered them... used them for a couple years... ended up donating them to one of my employees for his church praise-band project... and the church praise-band folks seemed thrilled with them. For the time I used them, I thought they sounded "ok" and put out "fairly well" SPL wise... just "ducky fine" as far as vocals go. Certainly not top shelf, but considerably better than pathetic. Maybe I had some different model, but if they're the same... I gotta be wondering if there's more to Youthman's monitor challenges than the monitors? If that's a maybe... then maybe consider renting some truly better monitors for a weekend or two and swap-out the Community's and see if that makes a noticeable improvement before buying.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived