are these worth doing anything with?

• Members

i picked up a pair of jbl 4430. the surrounds are shot. from what i understand these are sought after, the cabs are HUGE

also got a pair of 16ohm 2445J drivers on unknown horns (in pic) drivers are enormous

not in pic is a huge 4660 that i dont suppose i will have any use for. the monitors and horns have my interest........i'm not up on the JBL stuff, anyone know?

212f506767975ea6177b1fad99f74e4e.thumb.jpg.4484d367aad6a6b94f797dccc82fc32e.jpg

• CMS Author

That's a question to ask *before*, not after.......:D

Was this pile free? Are the drivers working? If so, you landed on the mother lode.

The 2445's are a very nice 2" compression driver, the horns could be copies of a 2380. Diaphragms are available, pricing and quality vary, ask Andy.

The 4660 has most likely a 2425 or 2426 1.75/1" compression driver and a 2225H LF driver. Both were used in the SR-X series, and diaphragms can be had for them as well.

The 4430's are studio legends. JBL sold them for 18 years ('81-'99). If you can get them back to working order (I'll bet Andy can assist in advising this) you'll have one helluva nice recording monitor system. The specs on these are very, very impressive.

• Members

it was free. i rescued them from them landfill at the last second. the ppl didnt know what they were, it had been replaced a while ago and has been sitting in storage for years. the surrounds on the 2235h are shot as it is rotted foam, otherwise this pile seems to be in great shape.

i googles the 4430 and they seem to be $$$$. i would like to replace the surrounds assuming the rest is working. i'll know more today

• Members

The 4430's are studio legends. The specs on these are very, very impressive.

I happen to have an original tech sheet on these, printing date of 8/81... and yes, very impressive specs... including "Shipping Weight 79.5 kg (175 lb)... and Coaster "Picked them up" :D

• Members

Yes, they have value. Check Ebay complete listings and you might be surprised.

The cabinets use a 2235 driver IIRC (or something like that), generally the basket is reconed using a 2225 kit as there are not any original foam kits available. Refoaming is possible as long as the VC is not damaged (almost impossible to tell without destruction, so I wouldn't recommend.

• Members

the foam is so far undamaged. when i touched it i could feel it was no good anymore but it is still intact. it has that dry rot sticky feeling that bad surrounds have.

i fired all of it up today. the 4430's are absolutely amazing. i had them on a 750 watt per channel amp and didnt turn it up much at all but the detail is mind blowing.

i fired up the horns as well. the horns are 2386 with the 2445j drivers. these things are heavy and huge. i think they sound great

the 4460 is in perfect working order and sounds really good as well. i'm not sure how they had this all physically configured but i bet it was awesome. they were obviously flying the 4430 which is a big no no.

i have zero idea what to do with the 4460.

• Members

Rescued from the dump?! WOW...the score of the year! You can do the surrounds yourself. There are instructions

included in kits and videos online. Get a kit with the voicecoil shims included.

Those 2inch exit drivers are just a great score and can be crossed over down to 500hz.

I am not recommending that as an xover freq. I would start with 800hz with a 15" driver.

• Members
Rescued from the dump?! WOW...the score of the year! You can do the surrounds yourself. There are instructions included in kits and videos online. Get a kit with the voicecoil shims included.

I do not recommend re-foaming this driver as a DIY project. Doing it right and having it turn out neat takes a fair amount of experience, and these are not the drivers to get your experience with. Also, removing and installing new dust caps is much more difficult on these drivers because of the VC diameter and how the leadout ribbon exits. It is quite easy to end up with a now non-functional driver on this type of driver. On a more conventional driver with the dust cap much larger than the VC, there's a lot more margin for error.

Archived