Bi-amp box horn issue solved??

• Members

I have been having issues with with one of my Yorkville e152 cabinets as of late. The horn has been intermittent when being used in bi-amp mode. (Full range mode is fine.)

I opened the cab, disconnected/reconnected what I could, used contact cleaner on the FR/Biamp switch, but still the horn was in/out during bi-amp operation.

'finally brought the cab to a local tech.

The result: he (the tech) could not find anything wrong with the drivers (I knew that) and also checked all of the components on the crossover. Everything was up to spec.

He then removed the crossover and "resoldered" all of the points of connection on the underside of the crossover.

The cab works fine now.

I asked the tech if the issue was common and he said that it arises from time to time. He said that he did not see any bad solder points but sometimes failed solder points are not visible to the eye.

My query was due to the fact that I have three other e152's that I use and should I be on the lookout for similar symptoms.

He told me that those particular cabs are well made and sometimes things like this happen due to all of the vibration (I told him that the last time I used my e152's was during a [very] loud DJ event).

Oh well, I'm back in business.

Mike M

• CMS Author

Your tech sounds reasonable. I wouldn't worry about the other boxes...if anything similar happens you'll know what to do about it.

The only part I'm a little 'iffy' about is that he resoldered connections on the crossover. Does the switching route the biamp mode through part of that circuit board?

• Members

I was wondering the same thing, Craig. If I understand the schematic correctly, when you engage bi-amp mode, you basically separate the crossover into halves, putting a high-pass and a low-pass filter the respective drivers.

Holy poop, a 120W horn driver. I bet these things get loud!

http://yorkville.com/downloads/servman/sm_e152.pdf

Mike, have your speakers had the E152KIT horn bracket upgrade? See page 6.

Wes

• Members

Mike, have your speakers had the E152KIT horn bracket upgrade? See page 6.

Wes

Yup,

I added the brackets a few years ago. I emailed Yorkville and they mailed (n/c) the kits for my four cabs.

At sight they don't seem to look like they do much...but...Yorkville wouldn't waste their $ sending kits to end users like me if the brackets were unnecessary.

Mike M

• Members

It's not a "real 120 watt RMS" HF driver. HF drivers are rated, generally, based on mechanical limits and high passed at a specific frequency & slope. In reality, it's between 30 and 60 watts, which is plenty fine to keep up with a low frequency section because the sensitivity will put is 10dB ahead, therefore it will need to be attenuated 10dB to match up. Now calculate the required power for the HF section at the LF section's limits and you should have plenty of HF left.

Archived