For the woodworkers out there

• Members
Very cool. I was a machinist for many years and safety glasses was a given.

Hope he does not learn the hard way. Nice cabinet!

I'm still a machinist and learned this a long time ago.

You can walk with a wooden leg, eat with false teeth but you can't see with a glass eye.

• Members

Dave Ratt looks like he'd be a hell of a fun neighbour!

As for machine tool safety, my dad lost an incisor to a lathe once. It eventually altered his entire face. I guess he should have gone to the dentist and gotten a bridge or something.

Wes

• CMS Author
I'm trying to figure out why he needed two saw blades. Just to avoid using the rule markings on the saw?

He was using, or at least should have been using, a dado blade set. For those unfamiliar with this tool, it's a set of blades, shims and chippers that can be stacked on a table saw arbor to create a blade set capable of cutting a slot of varying width. The width is created by using two outer blades that look similar to a regular blade, and if needed, a combination of chippers and shims between them that both set the overall width and handle cutting the middle space. In Rat's case, I'm guessing he only needed a 1/4" slot so he could have simply paired the outer blades, which typically cut 1/8" each.

• Members

Craig, I don't think he's cutting dados, I think he's just scoring the wood with blade-width slots so it can be bent and curved. It looks like he ends up with about fifteen-ish 1/8" slots that are about 1/2" apart. It's a little hard for me to tell exactly the dimensions he used, but from what I can see it doesn't look like he's cutting dados.

Archived