Jbl Mp418s question

• Members

Hey all , I have 1 jbl mp418sp sub . It's the kind that has the stereo power amp built into it that can run another passive sub along side of it. It's really hard to find a passive one of this kind to go along with it. Any of you know if there is a passive sub I could use with the 1 mp418sp that I have now ? I have a raw JBL 18 that is the same kind that's in the powered one . If there is a cab that is close to the the powered one 's specs would it work ok if I put the jbl 18 in that ? Any suggestions are helpful

Thanks

• CMS Author

Just for the sake of those reading this thread who aren't aware, the MP418s is the passive version of the MP418sp. They're both relatively rare finds as they didn't sell many, and have been out of production for quite some time. The 2241G is a pretty forgiving driver and performs well in many boxes, but it would be (relatively...I don't recommend building unless you're already set up for it) easy to copy the dimensions from the 418sp and drop your driver into it.

Note too that the internal amps can also drive a midhigh box, which actually makes more sense logistically. Rather than seeking a passive 418s, get another sp (I know, they're all tough to find) and you can run the rig that way.

Either way, there are limited but existing options.

• Members

Yes Craig you are right , both are hard to find . Passive and powered . I'd love to find another powered one and could run passive tops off each sub , but like you said it's all about finding one. I have had the passive ones before but sold them before I got this one MP418sp . I was thinking that maybe a JRX cab might work if I drop the 2241g that I have in it. or any other JBL 18 front loaded cab. I could build one ( I have built cabs in the past ) but covering it is the tricky part . I'd like it to look like it belongs

• CMS Author

Many who've never built a cab think it'll save them money, until they price all the hardware and covering material. Having a cabinet sprayed isn't cheap, and metal grill prices will take your breath away...

I agree, an old JRX cab might work if the dimensions and porting are close to what the MP's are.

• 1 month later...

Archived