What are you all using for IEM's?

• Members

Furman HDS6 / HR6 wired iems with Shure SE215's. I've had 2 dead receivers in 10 years, but aside from that the system has been rock solid and sounds pristine (as one would expect from an analog IEM hard wired feed). There are 4 of us in the band using them.

Since I have an X32 Rack now, should anything die from now on, I will be moving toward the Behringer P16's which are $250.00 each .... but require no send unit at all since it is self contained in the X32 Rack.

• Members

I have Sennheiser G3's for mixing monitors, since that's what most of the bands I work with are using. I have lots of options for buds, but I usually just grab one of my pairs of Shure SE315's. They sound good, aren't super expensive, and they're easy to get in and out of my ears quickly, which is often necessary when I'm mixing monitors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

PSM unit is fine, but the Shure SE215 buds are not good. They are very fatiguing and the tonal quality changes wildly depending on how much you drive them. The bottom end is surprisingly good, but the top end is very un-refined.

If you want good In ear headphones then you need to spend $$$ - reality of the situation. If you want to use Shure ears then the SE425 has a more rounded sound.

• Members
PSM unit is fine, but the Shure SE215 buds are not good. They are very fatiguing and the tonal quality changes wildly depending on how much you drive them. The bottom end is surprisingly good, but the top end is very un-refined.

If you want good In ear headphones then you need to spend $$$ - reality of the situation. If you want to use Shure ears then the SE425 has a more rounded sound.

Good to know. I think I'd switch to molded. Those are just the ones included with the setup.

• Members

Sure molds are good, if only because you are guaranteed of a good fit. I have to say that the difference in seperation / isolation between moulded and non-moulded is not discernible. If you look at the specs, you'll see that both types usually offer the same amount of ambient attenuation.

I have never heard them, but Etymotic offer an in-ear that has 35-42dB of outside attenuation. Which is pretty amazing if you have a loud stage.. http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4.html

• Members

We all use Audio Technica M2s except the drummer who uses a Shure receiver hardwired. I can't remember which model now, but I picked up that one for him because it can also be used as a wireless receiver should he decide he wants to do that.

We all use molded Ultimate Ears buds of various quality. Mine is dual driver. The drummer and bass player are using triple or even quad drivers for supposedly improveed low end, I believe.

The girls use Alien Ears.

Everyone seems very happy with their rigs. Haven't used any others, so I can't offer comparison for you.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
PSM unit is fine' date=' but the Shure SE215 buds are not good. They are very fatiguing and the tonal quality changes wildly depending on how much you drive them. [/quote']

I think if you really check, that problem is the wireless system and not the earbuds. Speakers don't work like that (until they are completely over-driven). Analog wireless systems DO change their frequency response according to level.

Archived