Sparks coming from a monitor?

• Members

Our band has a Mackie 808s powered mixer which we run a total of 5 unpowered speakers with... We have two 8 ohm Peavey monitors which are pole mounted for our mains, & have two 8 Ohm Peavey monitors on the floor. Additionally we have a Yorkville 8 ohm monitor set up next to our drummer (who plays an electric kit). So the main channel is running speakers at 4 Ohms, & the monitor channel is running at 2.667 ohms. The mixer is rated for 2 ohm minimum per channel so my thoughts are we're ok there.

The other day at practice the drummer said that he saw sparks coming from the Yorkville monitor so we disconnected it (I didn't see this happening but have to assume he knows what he saw).

Is there a problem with our setup or is there something else going on here? If we play with the Yorkville monitor & it winds up cooking, is there a chance we could damage anything else in the system?

Or do we need to bite the bullet & get another monitor?

Any insight to this problem would be appreciated as we have 2 gigs coming up over the next 2 weeks...

• Members

Are you daisy chaining or using all the line outs? Because going l/r out you are at 8 ohms with two mains and more than 4 ohms on your monitors. I've run an 808 like this for years no problems.

some speakers have an internal light bulb that serves as a protection device, does the yorkville have that?

• Members

Just daisy-chaining the 3rd monitor to one of the floor monitors, using all line outs for the rest. I think your wrong on your ohm values though (The manual says that the 2 outputs for each channel are in parallel so if two 8 ohm speakers are attached to one channel the impediance would be 4 ohms regardless if it were daisy-chained or plugged straight into the mixer).

Thanks for the tip on the internal light though... I'll have to check that out (Maybe that's what the drummer saw & assumed it was sparking!)

• Members

Some Yorkville products do indeed have an internal limiter bulb.

I am having a hard time thinking of a scenario where a speaker could spark without leaving obvious tell-tale signs, like burnt parts and bad sound.

Wes

• Members
Just daisy-chaining the 3rd monitor to one of the floor monitors, using all line outs for the rest. I think your wrong on your ohm values though (The manual says that the 2 outputs for each channel are in parallel so if two 8 ohm speakers are attached to one channel the impediance would be 4 ohms regardless if it were daisy-chained or plugged straight into the mixer).

Thanks for the tip on the internal light though... I'll have to check that out (Maybe that's what the drummer saw & assumed it was sparking!)

Dang I think you're correct

• Members
Ive had speakers with those bulbs in the crossovers. It can really scare the daylights out of you in a dark venue if you forget about them.

Is that a pun? "scare the daylights out of you" in reference to a light bulb sounds funny to me :-).

Archived