Handling subs solo

• Members

So this isn't earth shattering or anything, but something I stumbled into while working on a better trailer pack. My JBL 718XLF subs aren't super heavy, but are quite large for a single 18" driver and cumbersome to work with solo. You'll need a trailer and cart, but if you're a small time setup with a modest system and gigging quite a bit, I recommend putting everything on wheels in the trailer anyway. It makes for very fast load ins when you don't have to reload the one cart you have. Each band member just grabs a "thing" and rolls it in.

Anyway, this lets me do stuff at home more easily on my own as well as allows one person to deploy and tear down at a show so they don't have to wait on someone for help. In fact you never lift the sub at all.

#1 - sub rides in the trailer like this with the largest surface available for a main and monitor on top#1 - sub#1 - sub rides in the trailer like this with a main and monitor on top rides in the trailer like this with a main and monitor on top

fetch?id=31520765

#2 - when you get to where you want the sub in the venue, tilt the cart and the sub is now sitting "hand truck" style

fetch?id=31520764

#3 - the handle of the cart is thick enough that the rubber feet don't touch the ground so the sub slides off easily. Reverse the process to load out.

fetch?id=31520763

2b206eff7a8294b14f666b8d4c580e8f.jpg.94acccfc541c7dc1b3deee42002180a9.jpg

3171c06196edf2d769a53a0336e8896c.jpg.138c37ff90a68adcdd7f3b23bbc7c777.jpg

63d045ceb6c1a0e6e21f0d95419b1004.jpg.7b21ef41aaea0e95174b4f5bc96fa2a3.jpg

• Members
Have you considered installing the factory 4" casters on the back?

These can't accept casters. IMO, this is a better solution anyway. Smaller pack (I need every inch), already have the cart, which rolls better than casters through doorways and is easier to put speakers on top. I'd not want to put speakers on the grill in transport. It also looks better in the venue than wheels hanging out the back of the sub.

• Members

How many carts do you have? I have 2. It lets us get everything in fairly quickly. I can get people working on the light truss while the rest of the gear gets loaded in. We are fortunate in that we are usually able to set up the night before, and tear down the day after the gig.

• Members

I find two of them stack nicely on a standard hand truck and we are good to go. They ARE just big enough/heavy enough that it isn't easy for one person to carry them, but still are small enough/light enough that lifting one the 2 1/2 feet to stack one atop another is doable.

• Members
How many carts do you have? I have 2. It lets us get everything in fairly quickly. I can get people working on the light truss while the rest of the gear gets loaded in. We are fortunate in that we are usually able to set up the night before' date=' and tear down the day after the gig. [/quote']

I have two carts. Everything else is on wheels too. Separate wheeled stuff for mixer/cables, stands, lighting. So 5 wheeled things roll out and the trailer is empty. When all 5 of us travel on "away gigs" together we'll use smaller subs so all speakers fit on 1 cart, which leaves room for all the instruments.

Archived