AKG D320B parts?

• Members

Hi, Folks!

Does anybody know where there are a cache of parts for these old mics? I just acquired some and was thinking they'd be fun to play with. Only one has a usable foam insert. AKG part 2146Z1902. I emailed the Harmon Group parts guy but he never returned my email, so I guess that means they don't have them. All the European sites seem to use Bax-Shop to fullfill their orders; Bax-Shop has no stock and no ability to order them.

If I can't find the right part, I think I will try using something like a Shure 36A678A (for SM/Beta 58), and sandwich it between the grille and the unique AKG "cage". Suggestions here would be interesting. AKG used foam with a gauze topper, glued(?) to the cage.

Wes

• Members

Thanks, Andy. I figured I would have to get creative, but figured I'd cast my line and see if I got lucky :)

Fortunately, I am a creative (and stubborn) guy. It's too bad there is no "audio superstore" where I can wander around and browse microphone parts. Walking around the plumbing department in Home Depot has solved a lot problems in my life that have nothing to do with plumbing. :)

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic foam for some of their mics (e.g. TGX-81) - I think I can cut them to fit the D300 series perfectly.

BTW, what are the black pieces of paper(?) on top of the holes in the element housing called, and what are they supposed to do? I'm guessing protection + mild HF rolloff?

Wes

Archived