Recommendation for connecting 2 Peavey SP2G's, 1 Peavey 118 sub, 1 Crown XLS1500 and 1 QSC RMX850

• Members

Hello, I am new to the forum and would like for advice. I perform ocassional DJ gigs and have a acquired a pair of Peavey SP2G's to go with my Peavey PV118 sub. I had a pair ov PV125's but they were too big to carry in my suv. I have two amps (Crown XLS1500...300watts x2 @8ohms, 525watts x 2 @ 4ohms, 1550 watts bridged @ 4ohms) and a (QSC RMX 850...200W @ 8 ohms; 300W @ 4 ohms; Bridge 600W @ 8 ohms or 830W @ 4 ohms). Can you please provide recommendations on what amp/speaker combination I should use?

• CMS Author

Hmm, you've got a choice here. I'd recommend you use the QSC on the PV118. The choice is among two less than ideal options...namely using too much, or possibly not enough power. The PV118 is rated "400 watts program". That also means 200 watts "RMS" or "continuous", which corresponds closely with the amp output specs. The RMX850's 200 watt per channel rating matches. However Peavey would probably recommend using 400 watts. You don't have that available.

You can use the RMX850 bridged, which puts 600 watts into a 200 watt speaker. That's something I'm not going to recommend to someone who isn't very well versed in the field, and has a lot of experience and willingness to repair the damage this setup can cause. Especially since the sub is being used alone, the temptation is there to crank it up for more output. 600 watts will fry the driver or damage the suspension through over-excursion. 200 watts can still get you into trouble if you really try hard, but the sub will sound awful before that happens...if you actually push it too hard.

On the RMX850 there are DIP switches on the back panel. There are setting for a high-pass filter. This filter will cut out the low frequency below either 35Hz or 50Hz. Be sure to both engage the filter, and set it for 35Hz, which should be good enough for the 40Hz (+-3dB) low end of the PV118. You could afford more protection, possibly with no audible difference, by setting it to 50Hz. Give both settings a try in rehearsal and make that choice.

Good luck and by all means ask here if there's anything you don't understand. Better to ask than have to fix broken gear.

• Members

Thanks Craig,

Ok, I will tinker with the QSC and sub this weekend. With regards to my Crown XLS1500 and my SP2G's, do you recommend going the Bridge/Parallel connection route?

Regards,

Harry

Hmm, you've got a choice here. I'd recommend you use the QSC on the PV118. The choice is among two less than ideal options...namely using too much, or possibly not enough power. The PV118 is rated "400 watts program". That also means 200 watts "RMS" or "continuous", which corresponds closely with the amp output specs. The RMX850's 200 watt per channel rating matches. However Peavey would probably recommend using 400 watts. You don't have that available.

You can use the RMX850 bridged, which puts 600 watts into a 200 watt speaker. That's something I'm not going to recommend to someone who isn't very well versed in the field, and has a lot of experience and willingness to repair the damage this setup can cause. Especially since the sub is being used alone, the temptation is there to crank it up for more output. 600 watts will fry the driver or damage the suspension through over-excursion. 200 watts can still get you into trouble if you really try hard, but the sub will sound awful before that happens...if you actually push it too hard.

On the RMX850 there are DIP switches on the back panel. There are setting for a high-pass filter. This filter will cut out the low frequency below either 35Hz or 50Hz. Be sure to both engage the filter, and set it for 35Hz, which should be good enough for the 40Hz (+-3dB) low end of the PV118. You could afford more protection, possibly with no audible difference, by setting it to 50Hz. Give both settings a try in rehearsal and make that choice.

Good luck and by all means ask here if there's anything you don't understand. Better to ask than have to fix broken gear.

• CMS Author

I would go one box per channel. If you biamp, that's 775w into a box rated 300w RMS. I get more nervous when two boxes are used in this manner on the same channel. If one speaker fails you're extremely likely to zap the other one as well.

In these matters it's wise to remember the adage that "it's the first watt that really counts". You don't get much extra volume from adding another 200 watts on top of an existing 300 watts, for example. Power compression will account for a considerable drop in added output, on top of the fact that each doubling of apparent volume requires exponential increases in power.

If you need more volume, you need more speakers. But for your intended use, this rig should perform quite well. Just go easy on the bass until you get another sub and amp.

• Members

Craig - good deal, thanks for the input.

DedMeet - you are hardcore! I Thanks for your input as well!

Regards,

I would go one box per channel. If you biamp, that's 775w into a box rated 300w RMS. I get more nervous when two boxes are used in this manner on the same channel. If one speaker fails you're extremely likely to zap the other one as well.

In these matters it's wise to remember the adage that "it's the first watt that really counts". You don't get much extra volume from adding another 200 watts on top of an existing 300 watts, for example. Power compression will account for a considerable drop in added output, on top of the fact that each doubling of apparent volume requires exponential increases in power.

If you need more volume, you need more speakers. But for your intended use, this rig should perform quite well. Just go easy on the bass until you get another sub and amp.

• Members
Dedmeet, the sub is a Peavey PV118. I have a BBE 2Way Crossover/Sonic Maximizer as well.

Thanks

The PV118 sub is not powerful enough to keep up with SP2's in what I would consider normal applications and will be your gating item. That said I would use your most powerful amp on the subs and the other for the tops. Most BBE units are not crossovers but instead just split out the bass without doing anything for the tops. It shouldn't hurt anything but it won't give you the best sonic performance. A proper crossover would be preferred. Sodomizer is usually a label attached to them by those not wise enough to use them properly. They usually are not intended to be used in the line out from the mixer and feeding power amps.

As Craig mentioned, using proper high pass filters will be essential to protect the speakers.

• CMS Author

I was thinking the bigger amp on the tops would provide solid mid-bass so the sub doesn't have to necessarily be driven into oblivion, but as this is a DJ scenario, that might not work. Either way the sub is definitely the weak link here. Well, the BBE isn't a stellar x-over but it'll work.

• Members

Well, after trying various configurations, I went with Craig's recommendation of the using the Crown for the Tops (one speaker per channel) and one channel of my QSC (not bridged, and filtered as recommended) to the sub. To say that the sub will not be able to keep up is an understatement....those SP2G's sound incredible. I tried the setup with the BBE and although this allows me to use both the amps and the speakers - it takes bass and mid bass from the SP's...for now I will take it out of the equation as well. Again, thanks to all for your recommendations.

Regards,

Harry

I was thinking the bigger amp on the tops would provide solid mid-bass so the sub doesn't have to necessarily be driven into oblivion' date=' but as this is a DJ scenario, that might not work. Either way the sub is definitely the weak link here. Well, the BBE isn't a stellar x-over but it'll work.[/quote']

• Members

Don,

I understand. As I only have one sub and it is not up to par with the SP2G's...I'd rather keep it on the lower powered amp for now.

I ended up with the following setup: SP2G's ---> Crown XLS1500 (1 speaker per channel) ---> Pass Through Connection (Line Out) ---> BBE ---> QSC 850RMX ---> Peavey PV118 Sub.

This allows me to go full range on the SP2's and have better control (volume, crossover frequency) of the sub. May not be the optimum solution, but the best I can come up with at this time.

Again, I appreciate your help.

harry

If a proper crossover was used I would expect the draw by the subs would be three time that of the tops.

• Members

The PV118 sub is not powerful enough to keep up with SP2's in what I would consider normal applications and will be your gating item. That said I would use your most powerful amp on the subs and the other for the tops. Most BBE units are not crossovers but instead just split out the bass without doing anything for the tops. It shouldn't hurt anything but it won't give you the best sonic performance. A proper crossover would be preferred. Sodomizer is usually a label attached to them by those not wise enough to use them properly. They usually are not intended to be used in the line out from the mixer and feeding power amps.

As Craig mentioned, using proper high pass filters will be essential to protect the speakers.

Touche, Dboomer; I guess my cheap shot earned one in return. smile.png For the record, I know rather well what the BBE units do and am wise enough to know that their best use is either as insert as an effect on a channel or as a handy door stop. YMMV.

That said, I agree with Dboomer on every thing else in his post. I might add that the OP's situation is one where a nice powered subwoofer or two would be a nice addition to his setup.

Archived