Beta 52a making noise

• Members

I have a Shure beta 52a that is making a resonating noise. Sounds like a 12" Tom Tom particularly if you have any vibration or tap the mic on the side ever so slightly. I discovered this just playing around in the garage with head phones. Not positive if this frequency is cycling while in use but it seems like something is loose or has an isolation issue. Last show the drummer had a well tuned kit and the kick sounded great although I was not 100% satisfied until the last set but their are other reasons for that (my fault). All in all I like the mic and would replace it if needed just wanted know if anyone has any experience. Just for comparison I did stop at a Guitar Center and had them hook one up to see if it created the same issue and it did not. The mic is genuine but I did buy it used a year ago. While I am at it anyone have any experience with the EV n/d868? Am considering this for the stock pile but would still replace the Beta 52a.

• Members

If you bought it used, how do you know it's real?

This is the classic symptom of a counterfeit, but there are other possible causes as well including failure of the isolation system within the mic body. IF it's real, Shure has a flat rate repair program that will get this fixed but if it's a counterfeit they may not return it to you and hold as evidence against their international enforcement program.

• Members
If you bought it used, how do you know it's real?

This is the classic symptom of a counterfeit, but there are other possible causes as well including failure of the isolation system within the mic body. IF it's real, Shure has a flat rate repair program that will get this fixed but if it's a counterfeit they may not return it to you and hold as evidence against their international enforcement program.

I bought the mic used from Guitar Center and also did research online to compare this mic to a counterfeit. I will check with Shure and if for some reason it is I will be heading back to GC as they are an authorized dealer and this should have not happened.

f050225717888b602f806403c432e474.thumb.jpg.e94d2e851ee519dd12ca641fdbb0761e.jpg

e7903e27b0bd67bf7cd39b0ee40b69fa.thumb.jpg.914fba2918626218e822c4cbfdb4b097.jpg

64e71510b2e54189c96641743834380a.thumb.jpg.d9a4d288dc62ee4a3cd9b9ccfe3f60ab.jpg

e33f7f4a5117e1f08cc508923606fb1e.thumb.jpg.d102e76e6908cd3d4a608e92b39d4d93.jpg

• Members

There is often no way a consumer can tell by looking at it, the guitar center folks are often no different than a consumer in this regard. This is a very big deal these days, which is why Shure takes it so seriously. Shure can tell because they know the progression of tooling used over the life of the product.

• Members

From the pics I have seen comparing fake to authentic the ball of the mic is a big one for giveaway. Put pics of the ball

in the pics also. Screen. I didnt even look at the model until after I posted.

I know a friend that has a definite chinese fake 52A. He uses the dam thing.

Look at this link.

Look at the color of your pins.

Yours appears fake

Read this link

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Shure-Beta-series-Microphones-How-to-spot-them-/10000000006603964/g.html

• Members

Additional pics sent to Shure as well. I would never use something that is known counterfeit period or pass it on to someone else. If you look at the pic with the grill off the housing is not centered and square in the body. Again will let you all know the response from Shure.

4d4b5cecaa413c19ea56705c77ab095d.thumb.jpg.44ba065f9d51117f1289db4e3ca85f46.jpg

924c71a57be95cfa63758bde33b64dba.thumb.jpg.f634e78db236cac6ca48294e00ad68e3.jpg

• Members

There are a surprising number of counterfeiters in china, each is different, so without a historic database of what is known to be fake, there are no sure fire ways a consumer can be expected to tell. The big performance giveaways are isolation, sound and polar pattern.

• Members

Got a response today and they cannot make a determination on the cause of the noise and suggested sending it in for repair. Nothing mentioned about counterfeit. I need to read the flat rate repair warranty again and see what the warranty is and make a decision to send it in or retire it to the garbage and cut my loses with a new one.

Archived