UPS battery geometry constraints?

• Members

So I've been researching the lightest 1U UPS unit I can find to go into a rack to support a X32 Rack, router, and eventually a IEM transmitter. All I'm looking for is a unit to provide a modicum of power conditioning, keep things running through a momentary power blink, and give me three+ minutes to walk over and shut things down gracefully in the event of a sustained one. I use this 300W fake-sine wave TrippLite unit for my X32 Compact and router now:

http://www.tripplite.com/line-interactive-ups-system-desktop-550va-120v-automatic-voltage-regulation-usb-port~AVR550U/

...which works great and at 8.8 lbs total is manageable to haul around. So I looked at the comparable 300W 1U rack-mount version:

http://www.tripplite.com/line-interactive-ups-system-.5kva-snmp-1u-rack-tower-usb-rs232-epo-120v~SMART500RT1U/

...and it weighs twice as much at 17.6 lbs! I'm referencing TrippLite only because that's the brand I currently have but 1U offerings from APC, CyberPower, and others are all about the same weight.

So my question is (mainly out of curiosity I guess) what's so different between the desktop and 1U form factor that the total weight of the 1U is twice that of the desktop with essentially the same capacity? Granted the 1U model has to be a bit structurally stronger given its long/thin geometry but that much? I did have to replace the battery in the desktop model already (warrantied by TrippLite) and it measures 2.75" x 3.5" x 4" -- too large to fit in the 1U space for sure. Is there some design constraint in battery form factor that forces a narrow battery to be less efficient and therefore requires double the size? Seems odd given all of the laptop batteries on the market these days. Curious yes?

• Members
Do they use the same battery? That's where a lot of the weight usually comes from.

No, as noted, the desktop and 1U models must use different batteries. My hunch, like yours, is that the battery is indeed the main source of weight but why would the thin-long/wide battery that is needed for the 1U form factor be twice as heavy as the more equant dimensions of the battery for the desktop model given the same wattage of the two units? Tis a mystery to me.

• Members

There's a lot of metal in the rack mount version where there's a lot of plastic in the desk top version. I suspect there also a vastly different charging board design in the 1 ru version that may require more and/or different thermal management than it's desk top counter part since it's enclosed in a metal box.

• Members
There's a lot of metal in the rack mount version where there's a lot of plastic in the desk top version. I suspect there also a vastly different charging board design in the 1 ru version that may require more and/or different thermal management than it's desk top counter part since it's enclosed in a metal box.

Ok, the need for more structural beef I thought of (I'm not sure about nine lbs of it) but different cooling needs would certainly be a factor -- wouldn't want it cooking everything else in the rack. Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

• Members
Are the capacities the same? Not just the rated VA but the time durations? I will bet the heavier ones have longer sustain times.

Right you are sir. While both the desktop and 1U units are rated at 500VA and 300W the 1U claims a battery run time of 3.2 min at max load (300W) and 14.6 min at half load (150W) while the desktop doesn't even list a run time at max load and only 5.5 min at half load (150W) -- ~38% of the 1U. The irony is that while I really only need/want the 5.5 min run time (the X32 Compact draws120W) the convenience factor of housing everything in one rack already plugged together is very appealing even with the weight penalty. Ahhh, compromises! Thanks all!

• Members

Watch your depth on the rack mounted versions. All those components have to go somewhere and being limited by 1 RU (1.75") tall and 19" wide that only leave one direction to go. Make sure your rack depth is sufficient.

• Members

No, as noted, the desktop and 1U models must use different batteries. My hunch, like yours, is that the battery is indeed the main source of weight but why would the thin-long/wide battery that is needed for the 1U form factor be twice as heavy as the more equant dimensions of the battery for the desktop model given the same wattage of the two units? Tis a mystery to me.

Derp, I guess I should read the whole post...

• Members
Watch your depth on the rack mounted versions. All those components have to go somewhere and being limited by 1 RU (1.75") tall and 19" wide that only leave on direction to go. Make sure your rack depth is sufficient.

Now doggone it trev, you're raining on my parade here <wink>! Matter of fact the TrippLite 300W model lists as 11.8" deep which while it would just fit into the SKB shallow rack I've been looking at (Rack Depth Front Rail to Back Lid = 12.3") it would not allow room to keep things plugged into it and still get the back cover on. Ahh good, the Cyberpower variant is only 9.25" deep so would work. Great advice you guys. Thanks!

Wow, talk about a fitting topic -- I just got ready to push the "Post reply" on this message and the lights flickered and my desktop UPS cycled and beeped. There's a big dark ugly approaching from the west.

• Members

Looking at the specs it says the rack unit battery module uses two 6v batteries which will be wired in series to give 12v. That's probably because of the space limitations. The desktop unit probably will use a single 12v SLA battery. Someof the weight will probably come from the use of two batteries and some from the unit itself which will have to be strong enough not to flex within the rack so it will probably be fabricated from metal vs plastic for the desktop unit.

That's my guess anyway.

• Members
Are either or both units UL listed?

The TrippLite models appear to be so:

Tested to UL1778 (USA); Tested to CSA (Canada); Tested to NOM (Mexico); Meets FCC Part 15 Category B (EMI)

CyberPower as well: UL1778, cUL 107.1, FCC DOC Class B

Just curious, why do you ask?

• CMS Author

The TrippLite models appear to be so:

Tested to UL1778 (USA); Tested to CSA (Canada); Tested to NOM (Mexico); Meets FCC Part 15 Category B (EMI)

CyberPower as well: UL1778, cUL 107.1, FCC DOC Class B

Just curious, why do you ask?

The possibility that the heavy unit was UL listed and the light one wasn't. The build might be heftier to protect the operator from any blow up, in the listed models.

Archived