Vinyl mesh for backdrop

• Members

Appealing to the production side of this forum.

Up to this point I've been using pieces of pipe and drape blackout cloth for a backdrop off the truss. It's fire rated and works great indoors. However, it's not so great outdoors. I'm looking for the mesh material I see in all the major outdoor stages. I'm having trouble sourcing just the material in the size I need. Mostly what I can find online is for printed banners. They always look great, but I don't need anything printed, just blank, black mesh. Would the mesh cargo or shade tarps work for this use? Not the super cheap poly/plastic, but the nice blended material? Seems they can be sourced at a decent price. Thoughts?

Thank you.

• Members

any time you put up fabric it's important to make sure your trussing is braced correctly for it. There are blow-through specs for fabrics, most common are the 30 and 40% blow through mesh but can go as high as 70% blow through. Rose Brand is a popular company for large scrims

• Members

Is there a trade name for the scrim? Looking at Rose brand, there are a couple of different materials. I'm not looking for special material for lighting effects, just the typical old mesh back drop. Thanks.

Archived