Amost too simple to believe

• Members
Digitech I know has internal voltage boosting on the Hardwire series but AFAIK, your 9 volt battery will only have normal life. FX pedals in particular could stand the upgrade.

If we're talking about the same type of typical stompbox pedals, I don't think there's much to be gained from this type of tech for many of them. Many operate over a pretty wide range of input voltage. I think a Tubecreamer still passes audio down below 4v, at which point I'd assume the battery's voltage curve is heading quickly to vertical.

I've also heard some guitarist prefer the tonal characteristics these pedals produce when undervolted. I dunno, that may just be another guitarist voodoo practice (of which they have many), but its one of those things being done out there.

I don't know anything about the Digitech models, but the voltage step may just be for increased headroom or to match some component value.

• Members

You're right. Most drive pedals anyway would act like a light bulb. I like the rounding effect on the attacks and top end myself. Still, keeping the voltage in the "fresh" zone for as long as possible might be a desirable thing and Ironically a power supply would offer more consistent sag than a battery. :D

Archived