JBL Powered 800 series

• Members
You'd still need subs.

That's too broad of a statement IMO. They go down to 41 Hz at -3dB, which is lower than compact subs can do. I've heard the 735 outdoors and was impressed with the low end. Presumably these would be even better. If you're genre lives on prominent low end, then maybe not, but a weekend warrior band playing common rock, pop, country covers would probably work out just fine.

The bigger issue is getting them at the proper height. They have a pole mount, but you'll need a sturdy stand and some help to get that 85 lbs lifted onto the stand.

• Members
While I agree that some music does't need or benefit from subs' date=' "holy grail chest thump" is subs. Especially current music.

You didn't ask for that in your post, nchangin did. If you need that kind of response, then subs would probably be appropriate too.

I was addressing this as a general comment. For much of what I do, I could easily get by without subs if I had a suitable top cabinet. If I need subs, I have a large inventory of SRX-718's to pull from.

• Members
Definitely curious to hear the new SRX828P powered subs. At $1999 each' date=' will one of these out perform two PRX718XLFs, I wonder? [/quote']

Probably pretty darn close. Heavier though, for my next load-in the SRX-718 (not PRX) is the largest, heaviest cabinet that will make the turn up into the grid. It's the most bang for the smallest, lightest box. I did seriously look at more smaller boxes, but resale value favors this one.

• Members

Probably pretty darn close. Heavier though, for my next load-in the SRX-718 (not PRX) is the largest, heaviest cabinet that will make the turn up into the grid. It's the most bang for the smallest, lightest box. I did seriously look at more smaller boxes, but resale value favors this one.

Heavier yes, but not as heavy as two PRXs. (Although few people carry two PRXs at a time.) They are a bit wider than two PRXs though, but also a bit shallower and shorter. (Trailer space is at a premium these days!)

• Members

And then you have the logistics of hauling around double 18's, great reinforement but a pain to store/move for the little guy, if your a big rig and need four set's of 18's for big shows that's a different story...

Guido I to was looking at those, makes more sense $ to pay $ 2k for double 18" vs $ 1.5 k for one 18 from a value standpoint...

I wonder how user friendly they would be if you didn't use the ipad app at all and just wanted these integrated into a current system.

Another review I read today about 835's in another post was an interesting read.

• Members
"holy grail chest thump" is subs. Especially current music.
"Chest Thump" is up above 80Hz. Dunno what they call that "Foompf" below that? Those of us not carrying a pair+ of 2x18's to small bar gigs learn to live without it wink.png . OTOH you WILL run out of "Thump" if you try to push frequencies below what your speakers can reproduce well - HPF's are a must to maximize "Thump" smile.png .

• Members

I have a job this summer where I could use the 218's but the load-in is such that they won't make the turn around corner to where the PA flies from (yes, the subs essentially fly, there is no other choice as there are animals (horses, bulls, cattle, etc.) below. The 118's will make it fine without giving a hernia.

• Members
"Chest Thump" is up above 80Hz. Dunno what they call that "Foompf" below that? Those of us not carrying a pair+ of 2x18's to small bar gigs learn to live without it wink.png . OTOH you WILL run out of "Thump" if you try to push frequencies below what your speakers can reproduce well - HPF's are a must to maximize "Thump" smile.png .

Yep. Many people don't realize how important the woofer in your tops is to getting high impact drums. I believe that this is why the SRX722's were such a popular speaker. Plenty of clear and punchy >80Hz content and a really good HF driver.

• Members
And then you have the logistics of hauling around double 18's, great reinforement but a pain to store/move for the little guy, if your a big rig and need four set's of 18's for big shows that's a different story...

Guido I to was looking at those, makes more sense $ to pay $ 2k for double 18" vs $ 1.5 k for one 18 from a value standpoint....

Well, actually I was asking how one of them compared to a pair of PRXs. Was thinking of just putting one SRX in the middle of the stage. I wouldn't really want to haul around two of them either,

But, of course, could always add a second one for bigger gigs.

• Members

Guido I have seen your configuration in the wild with one dual 18 in the middle, effective solution....I wonder about wheels on those....I didn't really read too in depth but it appears it has caster mount holes on the bottom?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have 2 x PRX718's and a SRX828. I love my PRX's for most of my small to medium inside work but for the larger shows - oh boy the SRX828 is fantastic. Very musical, nice and tight and powerful. I have even used them all at outside shows and they play very nicely together. I put the PRX's on an aux and the SRX828 linked to my SRX 812's or my SRX815's. Very nice series of speakers.

I added the wheels to the back of the SRX828 and it is very easy to move around. I wheel it to the van, lift one end into the van, then push all the way in. Reverse to take out.

Archived