New yamaha digital board line.

• Members
IMO' date=' they are too late to the party. Maybe a great product, but the line in the sand has already been drawn.[/quote']

I saw some years ago Evinrude had dominance in the outboard market and rushed to market motors with newer technology that had problems. Yamaha took their time came out a couple years later with a superior product and has never looked back. Now they are the dominate brand because they didn't rush to market.

• Members

I saw some years ago Evinrude had dominance in the outboard market and rushed to market motors with newer technology that had problems. Yamaha took their time came out a couple years later with a superior product and has never looked back. Now they are the dominate brand because they didn't rush to market.

This new Yamaha board seems to be going after the StudioLive and X32 markets at a higher price point and with no improvements in feature set. It's also got some serious ergonomic shortcomings when compared to the X32, and AFAIK, most people are happy with the X32's stability and performance.

• Members

This market moves a lot faster than the outboard motor market. Now if they had introduced it 2 years ago (and they certainly had the technology and resources to do so), it well could have been a game changer, but the other competing products have a solid foothold in the now crowded marketplace.

IMO, and I hate to say it, the X-32 is probably a better feature set and user interface but I also dislike relying on touch screens because I find them unreliable, especially when my hands are dry. I prefer the multi-knob interface myself.

• Members

I agree the X32 feature set seems preferable. Besides, I still feel the future in this class of console is to keep the preamps and processing on stage and just have a cat5 or, if not absolutely mission critical, even wireless connection to the "human-interaction surface" -- moving faders included. Yamaha has a great name -- especially for reliability -- but too late to this game as noted and is not breaking new ground with this product. Presonus has just this week taken the lead in this limited respect although I still prefer my X32 feature set/work flow.

Just $0.02 from this small-time hobbyist.

• Members

I know I did an advance order for my o1v96 when it came out in 2003. Many of its short comings are addressed in this line. Full xlr inputs per channel. 16 xlr outputs. Ipod/pad control.full recording.Yet I don't think it is as loaded as my o1v96 is in some ways. Delays on each channel? Any input to any channel strip? Not even sure how well the library - patching is. I guess these will come out in good time. I do like Yamaha and the 24 frame is now about what I paid for my V.. and the frame size that would be most used by me. But the Midas 32..... Hmmm 😏. Still interesting times. Some of these 3k priced boards would have been $35k and up 25-30 years ago and would have been the greatest thing going.

• Members

25 years ago, pushing around enough bits to keep a 32 CD player DACs full would certainly have been an industry-shattering achievement. The "sound card" in my personal PC at the time was a DAC I made from a bunch of resistors hung off the parallel port ("Disney Sound System). Adlib had released their FM synthesis sound card, based around (I think) Yamaha OPL3 chips a couple of years before. Creative Labs released the SoundBlaster right about then. IIRC it could move two channels of 8 bit audio at 22.05kHz provided you had a fast PC and could dedicate a hardware interrupt to the card.

I don't know why, but I miss those days. Maybe because, back then, I could actually understand the hardware, operating system, and so on.

Wes

• Members
This market moves a lot faster than the outboard motor market. Now if they had introduced it 2 years ago (and they certainly had the technology and resources to do so), it well could have been a game changer, but the other competing products have a solid foothold in the now crowded marketplace.

IMO, and I hate to say it, the X-32 is probably a better feature set and user interface but I also dislike relying on touch screens because I find them unreliable, especially when my hands are dry. I prefer the multi-knob interface myself.

That's Yamaha. They were EXTREMELY late to the powered speaker market. They entered early with 1 or 2 dreadfully anemic products, even for the time, then left entirely for a few years. They finally went all in with something worth owning in the DSR to claim their share of the market in that segment and did so pretty quickly really. BUT, they also priced their speakers comparably to the rest of the segment.

It appears they're doing the same with mixers, but with a premium price tag. With no market share I'm not sure they are in a position to ask for a premium for similar functionality.

The killer for them though is that that they've missed out on the initial bump where venues and churches are replacing analog mixers with digital. The first rush was in in 2009 with the StudioLive. The last few years the X32 has been wildly popular. If I had to guess I'd say, simply because digital has gone mainstream, more 16-32 channel mixers have probably been sold in the last 5 years than were sold the 10 before it. Yamaha didn't get any of that.

• Members

Kindof interesting but the Behringer "clone" of the 01 actually added a number of features that Yamaha then copied back - an interesting synergy vs Behringer's usual reputation back then of being just a clone shop. I've read postings from the original software architect of the DDX3216 - dunno if he worked on the X32 line but he certainly was the real deal.

• Members

Still being a Yamaha fan.........The couple of things they have going for them are on board touch screen & reliability. I'd at least consider one based on their track record.

Their software looks decent (something that DEFINITELY needed improving). I hope they write software for android. They're not WAY off on their price point - just a bit high.

One question is, do you NEED a board that will last 20 years considering the speed technology is changing.

• Members

Well I'm a big fan of the 01v and 01v96, these look great. They are late to the game, I'm hoping they feel as solid as the other mixers I their line. X32 and the studio live felt plastic, like a toy.

What at really makes these cool is for shops that own the cl5s and ql5s etc, easy integration, especially is using Dante. Smaller board with plenty of features, integrates well into an existing yahama company.

couple of odd things: 8 mono,and 6 stereo auxes? Why not just 14 and let the user decide? I think there's only 1 my slot onboard. Odd for a mixer with tons of channels and options. And of course the stage box is hella expensive too.

we see a lot of crowding in this market in the U.S., Yamaha does sales all over the world, these will likely be in places most others can't reach. I don't think this is a placeholder product (like the cp2000 amp), it could be but that's a lot of new R&D for just a few years.

• Members

Well I'm a big fan of the 01v and 01v96, these look great. They are late to the game, I'm hoping they feel as solid as the other mixers I their line. X32 and the studio live felt plastic, like a toy.

What at really makes these cool is for shops that own the cl5s and ql5s etc, easy integration, especially is using Dante. Smaller board with plenty of features, integrates well into an existing yahama company.

couple of odd things: 8 mono,and 6 stereo auxes? Why not just 14 and let the user decide? I think there's only 1 my slot onboard. Odd for a mixer with tons of channels and options. And of course the stage box is hella expensive too.

we see a lot of crowding in this market in the U.S., Yamaha does sales all over the world, these will likely be in places most others can't reach. I don't think this is a placeholder product (like the cp2000 amp), it could be but that's a lot of new R&D for just a few years.

Archived