How do you use/display/mount your mixer for a small band?

• Members

Right now I have a small table that i set my mixer on. We only need the one mixer, and since I play keys and the only one that can hook everything up and control it, it sits next to my keyboard setup when playing out. I thought of mounting it to a larger board to hang on the side of the keyboard stand, or have a wall mount for it... some way of hanging it vertically to take up less space.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas and to ask what other small bands do if they only use a mixer and don't need a rack... the mixer is setup for our fx, compression, etc so we just plug into it and send the 2 outs to foh powered speakers. I like keeping things simple... having a table and mixer sitting on it is kind of a pain... and since 95% of our playing is in our practice space, we need all the room i can get, and able to tweak a setting if needed.

• Members

I like a rack. My DL1608 has the rack mount kit and is sitting on top of my mixer stack that also contains 2 DriveRack PXs and a DriveRack PA. Two stereo amps, two wireless mic receivers, one IEM transmitter and two mounted power strips in the back. I have a use for everything there. Need to clean up the spaghetti in the back. It's tall enough to set next to my keyboards and operate the docked ipad 2. I also use an ipad mini mounted on a mic stand adapter. Either are good for controlling the mixer.

• Members

Thx... I don't need a rack. It would be nice if I had wireless transmitters and IEMs, but we are a budget dad-band using only a mixer. I'm liking the music stand option for now, altho the manhasset stands don't go down very low... maybe there's a lower stand out there... that would be perfect for now.

• Members

A music stand is a bad idea, because they're not made to lock into position - all somebody has to do is tug a wire or bump the stand and the mixer dumps on the floor. Get a rack with a mixer rack section on top. Put the mixer in the top and use the bottom section for storage. It'll take up less space than any other solution, it'lll look neater, and it'll offer some measure of protection. If you don't want to spend a lot, keep an eye on craigslist.

• Members

not really enuf room to sit on the PX... and I use a mini-mixer with it as well for backup mics and the iPad.

prob is a not good idea for playing out since it may get bumped, but it is fine for our practice room... I made a shelf for it to sit on, and if I build/fab a lightweight rack for it and add something for my iPad holder, it may work out... i'm pretty good at building custom stuff...

edit 1: and this got me thinking.. i don't have a case to haul the smaller items... fx boards, mics, mixer, pedals, power strips, etc. I should build/mod something like a road case with padding and sections.

edit 2: I found a trunk i can use to haul the equipment... but kind of klunky for sitting next to me on stage. I looked at DJ laptop tripod stands and that seems like a good option.

• Members

Though substantially more expensive than plastic tubs for cables and "stuff", and you'll need a trailer, we do ours in a 14U rolling rack with a ratchet top. Slide out shelf for a laptop, 1U, 2U, and 2, 3U drawers plus room for wireless mics and rack mounted power. Having everything easily accessible is nice versus putting things away and digging things out of a pile of crap stuffed in a corner or put back in the trunk of your car.

• Members

this is what i ordered. We don't play out much, so no trailer needed... just put the trunk, monitors, subs, keys+ stands in the pickup. Cheaper and more adjustable than the workhorse. Thanks for the ideas.

319jhSloFaL._SX425_.jpg

• Members

Can you add another tier to your keyboard stand? I'd want it within arms reach anyway. Strat guy, those stands are really nice for all sorts of things, a lot stronger than I expected too. I pick up a pair at like $25, and wish I had grabbed 4.

• Members
Can you add another tier to your keyboard stand? I'd want it within arms reach anyway. Strat guy, those stands are really nice for all sorts of things, a lot stronger than I expected too. I pick up a pair at like $25, and wish I had grabbed 4.

They are handy as heck and I love that they go up and down in about 5 seconds flat.

Archived