A&H QU-16 rack/router/iPad questions

• Members

Hello All:

I recently purchased a QU-16 as an upgrade to my Mixwiz.

I am in need of a rack for the unit.

To facilitate wireless operation, I will need a router and iPad.

I would like to store (for transport only) the iPad and router (well-wrapped in foam) in the space beneath the mixer created by its "pitched" design.

This way I can keep all of the components associated with that that particular mixer in one rack for transport purposes.

I have found racks with a "fixed" rack mount configuration that would not allow me access to the space under the mixer.

Has anyone found a case/rack that will allow me to do so?

Regarding the iPad and router:

What version (series?) of iPad do YOU use?

What router do YOU use?

I am in no special hurry to get this done as the first show I plan to use the mixer is in mid April.

A note: I am not looking for the "latest and greatest" as some people on this forum seem to always recommend. I would like to know what YOU use.

Best,

Mike M

• Members

I don't have the QU but I have some iLive units that I use via wireless all the time. I have tried several different routers and most have been just fine. Currently I have an Asus RT-N66U mounted in the rack and have been really happy with it on both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. I connect to it with a MacBook Pro and my iPad (series 2) and never have any problems. If we are doing an outside job and FOH is fairly far away I will use a Ubiquiti NanoStation to throw the wireless out there further but it still routes through the Asus to hit the switch ports to get to the mix racks.

• Members

The $100 Airport Express from Apple is a suitable and easy to setup dual frequency router. (Can do both 2.4 and 5 Ghz at the same time. 2.4 Ghz is getting crowded so having 5 Ghz available is a plus and the 2.4 Ghz has a longer range. All ipads can do both, but I would recommend getting one of the newer ipad models, as the oldest models might not work with the version of ios you need for your app. And if that isn't true yet, it may happen in the next year or two. I've got an ipad 2 and a DL1608 mixer. The older verion is no longer supported with ios version and app version. I might have to upgrade soon. Just suggesting you start with the most recent version you can afford. (Apple continues to sell older versions for less.) There is a Teachers discount that is applicable for family and friends of the teacher. Might be about a 10% savings, but you have to order it online and wait for it. (About a week.)

• Members

I use a "CU" series rack from Audiopile (Mark is a long time contributor here). It's been working great and also houses all cables, subsnakes, router, wireless units and a sliding shelf to put my ipad and iphone on during the gig. Router wise, I suggest a 5 Ghz router. Iphone 5 and up support it and ALL ipads support it. I currently use an Ipad 3 with mine. As far as router type, I've been using a sub $20 Vizio router mounted in the case and have had no trouble.

http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/CU_Series_Roadracks/CU-P/CU-P_series_cutsheet.shtml

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello All:

I finally picked up a case for the unit:

Gator GMix12PU

It is a pop-up style case and the unit fits well with the A&H rack ears.

Yes, I know that plastic offers less protection but I have had good luck with my Mixwiz in a similar case for several years now with no issues.

Another thing that I considered: most of the the fixed-mount cases had wasted space underneath the mixer while in storage.

As I do with my mixwiz/gator set up, I plan to keep board tape, talkback mic, power cord, etc. in the case (under the unit) while in transport.

The salesman at sweetwater said that it may not fit but going on a fellow forum member's advise I gave it a shot.

Next on the agenda is an ipad...

Mike M

Archived