Do you need a bass player live?

• Members

With the modern age of using samples for electronic music integrated with rock music in live settings, theres really no reason a bass guitar can't be mixed into the sample as well, is there? You can get a full live sound through a drummer, guitarist, pianist and a laptop... Thoughts?

• Members

I don't know why you would bother will all that crap. Bass players, drummers, guitars, pianists, stage monitors, mixers, EQs, compressors, effects units...

It seems to me you could get a good, full sound by simply plugging a laptop into the FOH amps and be done with it. Well, maybe add some lights and a fog machine.

Wes

• Members

I have seen some guys do amazing things with loopers but that is not the same as just using tracks. I'm not a fan of drum machines or bass tracks except for practicing. I have seen lots of bands have the keyboardist play the bass lines and sometimes that works pretty good.

• Members
No bass player? Well then: who'd supply the sound & light rig, and the means to haul the gear, and store it, and fix it, and set-up and tear down, and check the power situation, and supply batteries, gaff tape, and all that sort of stuff? :D

Why the singer of course :D

• Moderators
Well, okay, here's a serious answer (for the rest of us, I suspect); there's a 'thing' that two good musicians, in this case drum and bass, will do to lock in and play tight. I've never heard this when either the drummer or the bassist were playing against tracks. Never.

I'm not a big fan of tracks, and couldn't imagine playing w/o a bass player, but there is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SWP3qI7Rg

• Members

lol, good luck with that. (S)He's got enough to deal with having to provide the tamborine.

Agreed. I'm an anomaly ... lead singer ... booking, marketing, website, travel arrangements, transportation, sound, lights. 14 years, 700+ shows and counting.

• Members
I always though that a big part of the enjoyment of playing music was playing with other players rather than playing with machines. Call me old fashoned I guess ;)

OK. You're old fashioned". That doesn't necessarily mean "bad" though.

Music is (hopefully) a performing art. This doesn't include reproductions of a single performance done in a studio. It's a collaborative effort (even the sound & light guys sometimes get a tiny piece of the action). The more trax & recorded music you have as part of your presentation, the more you are becoming a lithograph hanger in an art gallery. On the pragmatic side, obviously not everyone can afford to travel with an orchestra so sometimes tracks can be useful (but still detracting). Go see a REAL performance (Broadway for instance) and even with all of it's human flaws it is still a far more fulfilling musical experience. Are we becoming a world of mediocrity?

Just some thoughtful musings

• Members
Well, okay, here's a serious answer (for the rest of us, I suspect); there's a 'thing' that two good musicians, in this case drum and bass, will do to lock in and play tight. I've never heard this when either the drummer or the bassist were playing against tracks. Never.

Exactly! Besides, there is always something special about a group of people coming together to make music without the crutch of using tracks.

• Members

Agreed. I'm an anomaly

I've wondered why a seeming preponderance of gear folks in bands happen to be the band's bassist? In my case it was simply my realization that a non singing mediocre bass player is much more in-demand if said bass player (me) owns a decent sound & light rig, and the means to haul and store the gear, and the chops to make it reliably function well. Well that... plus I was the one who seemed to have time on my hands during set-up and tear-down... like a minute or two to deal with my bass stuff.

• Members

I don't know. I've been played guitar, keys and sang and now currently consider myself primarily a bassist that sings. It always came down my impatients and that I could only stand around so long, knowing I could coax better results of their mismatched equipment than they were getting. Eventually I built up a number of systems that made me the go to guy to do it all. And I keep swearing up and down every time I work with a new group, I'm going to keep my mouth shut and just play and sing. You can guess how well that works out...

• Members
I always though that a big part of the enjoyment of playing music was playing with other players rather than playing with machines. Call me old fashoned I guess ;)

Heh... me, too. I can play samples and tracks and loops and so forth through consumer electronics equipment, and read a book while it makes noise.

-D44

Archived