Do you guys get posting alerts?

• Members

Ever since the last overhaul of the forums I no longer get emails when someone posts to a thread I've participated in. For a while I'd get an alert if I started the thread and someone posted. Now I don't even get that. In fact, when I do log in I have to guess which threads I participated in because it doesn't even mark them. I have notifications on.

I'm just curious if everyone has the same user experience here or is ti just me? I can't imagine it being the norm as every feature that makes forums work, is unavailable to me. It's why I only stop by a few times a week now a days. It's just such a dysfunctional and frustrating experience it's just not worth it.

• Members

This forum is a joke from an operational standpoint. EASILY the worst among the dozen or so I regularly frequent. If there were any other forum where gigging musicians hung out much....

I see they've deleted the update threads. Apparently there will be no other meaningful fixes to come. Guess this is as good as it's gonna get. yay.

• Members

The issue of marking the threads you've participated in has come up and was left hanging. You are correct it doesn't do that anymore and it doesn't appear that they are addressing it. Also the word processor part hiccups occasionally and won't let you edit normally (as does the spell checker which I depend on a lot :-). Sometimes it works fine and sometimes is goofs up. This happens at home as well at work so it's not a local issue.

Has anybody noticed the much lower participation rate since this last upgrade? Hello - Hello - anybody there :-)? It could be the forum software OR it could just be the state of the industry (less overall participants and/or less time to spend posting - not sure).

• Members

So how can anyone use this forum if it isn't updating anyone about new postings? I just thought I was unlucky. Nearly every basic function a forum needs to be viable is absent! Just wow!

Oh well. Hey, at least I got these emails from the thread I started.

• CMS Author

If you haven't already, go to your user name (top right), click and then select "user settings", then the "notifications" tab, and see if changing them to something appropriate does anything meaningful. I'm not claiming it will, but that page is where we're supposed to be able to control things in this regard. Let me know the results.

FWIW, I've forwarded this thread to the office.

• Members
If you haven't already, go to your user name (top right), click and then select "user settings", then the "notifications" tab, and see if changing them to something appropriate does anything meaningful. I'm not claiming it will, but that page is where we're supposed to be able to control things in this regard. Let me know the results.

FWIW, I've forwarded this thread to the office.

Thanks Craig, I've done that at least a half dozen times over the last several months. That's why I'm so frustrated. I've changed my email address, chosen a different time frame for notifications, turned them off for a while and then back on, etc. It's just plain broken. The only thing I ever get notices of are threads I start. Because I'm getting those I know something is working as far as notifying me.

• Members

Well now that you mention it... I used to get a few message indicators to threads I participated in and/or started - not all threads but a few anyway. Lately I'm not getting them. I've never used the feature much, and I don't use the email function, but I can see where it would be very handy.

Semi OT, my landline phone company just switched their voicemail and I've already spent 45 minutes talking to the tech folks. That's just to get it working poorly, as opposed to barely at all.

The good code giveth and the bad code taketh away.

• CMS Author

Yep. I understand a lot of the reasons for why the migration didn't go smoothly...it was farked from before the start. And don't get me wrong, the IT guys have been working really hard to fix a lot. The vB release they were sold is NOT up to the standard that earned vB a good reputation for many years, and vB has done absolutely nothing to support their product. So we HC and Nucleus seem to be on their own to get this resolved.

However, 9 months is a lifetime in IT. It's almost the entire life cycle of an Apple product! ;)

• Members
The vB release they were sold is NOT up to the standard that earned vB a good reputation for many years, and vB has done absolutely nothing to support their product. )

Nobody much is using vB anymore. It's crap. I know these guys went back to vB because the regulars here were clamoring for it, but the fact is that it had been SO LONG since this forum ran well that it was way back when VB was still a good platform.

I don't know that they'll ever get much in the way of anything useful out of this platform. But they have my sympathies trying to do so.

Talk about unintuitive interfaces! ;)

• Members

I too wish I'd get the daily summary I used to get. But more so, I wish the text-only email I am getting had links to the posts that are listed. The only link in the email I get is to my account page. From there, I need to go to the forum and find the post I'm interested in. Fortunately - as others have noted - there isn't that much activity anymore, so it's not a huge problem to find a given thread.

Using this board is like changing your oil through a hole in the hood sometimes. Fix the interface and the conversation will start back up.

• Members
Ever since the last overhaul of the forums I no longer get emails when someone posts to a thread I've participated in. For a while I'd get an alert if I started the thread and someone posted. Now I don't even get that. In fact, when I do log in I have to guess which threads I participated in because it doesn't even mark them. I have notifications on.

I'm just curious if everyone has the same user experience here or is ti just me? I can't imagine it being the norm as every feature that makes forums work, is unavailable to me. It's why I only stop by a few times a week now a days. It's just such a dysfunctional and frustrating experience it's just not worth it.

Exactly as you describe..only if I start a thread do I get an email, and even then it is slow to come...Ha ha, well, you know what I mean.

Archived