PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL For Live Performance

• Members

A friend has told me this would work perfectly for our 3 piece rock band, and I can can replace my rack with it. Minimizing would be great. We have 3 vocal mics, guitar amp mic, 2 drum mics. Anyone use this in a live situation? Seems to good to be true. Put this in a 2 space Gator with our in-ears racks and go.

Thx

• Members

I use one of these as my home studio. I don't see why you couldn't use it live, but---except for the input controls on the front panel---you'd have to mix from a laptop which might be cumbersome. But it would certainly be possible.

What all is in your rack that you'd be replacing?

If all you want is just to get your sound out front live with a bit of FX on the vocals, then a small rack mixer like the Behringer RX1202FX might make more sense though. 3 spaces, but you don't have deal with a laptop.

• Members

Yeah, I suppose it would work. You can route individual monitor mixes to the separate outputs. (There's 8 outputs altogether). There's EQ and FX in the software.

My personal concern would be working from a laptop on stage in a live situation. Once you had the mix set you probably be fine, but on-the-fly adjustments could be a pain in the arse. But it seems everything you need would be there.

Another option is to look at some of these new mixers coming out that you control from a tablet that we're discussing in another thread right now. These things are set up more for live use.

• Members

I've never used the Audio Box in the way you're trying to, so I might be getting out of area of knowledge at some point, but what you're trying to do sounds simple enough. You plug your 6 mics into the front panel, run the main outputs to your Bose L1s, and use the other outputs to go to your IEM transmitters.

The Audio Box only has 1/4" output jacks. It doesn't have XLR outs. The L1s have both XLR and 1/4" inputs. The individual outputs are stereo pairs. But since there are only 3 of you, 4 sets of stereo pairs (one set for the mains, one set for each IEM) would be all you would need.

Yes, the software comes with the unit, so your virtual mixer would be on your laptop. (You also get the Studio One recording software with it as well.) You wouldn't be able to use an iPad since it connects via USB cable. You'd have to use a laptop.

It's certainly all technically possible, (as far as I know, anyway). Just not 100% sure it's the best way to go for what you're trying to do. There may be other products available more suited for your needs since this really isn't intended to be a live mixer.

• Members

And while I'm worrying you, let me throw another curve, I wouldn't mind bypassing my amp altogether and just having a foot pedal such as a Line 6 POD 2, or rack mount version and some kind of foot controller. Not sure if the sound quality from a pedal directly to a PA would cut it though.

• Members
btw, might you suggest a better product for what I'm trying to accomplish ?

Thx

For $500 and a single rack space? Isn't anything out there that I'm aware of, so maybe this is at least worth a try if you really need to get that small. Maybe others here have other suggestions?

Otherwise the Behringer X32 rack would be perfect and everyone could mix their own monitors from their own phone or tablet. But it's 3 rack spaces and $1,200. This is what my 6 piece band uses right now. Presonus makes something similar for $1,400.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLRM16AI

I'm waiting for the XR12 to be released to use for my keyboard mixer. $299. and you run it from your tablet. Looks like two rack spaces, but looks like you'd only get 2 monitor mixes.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR12

The XR16 is going to be $499 and looks like 3 rack spaces with 4 monitor mixes.

And while I'm worrying you, let me throw another curve, I wouldn't mind bypassing my amp altogether and just having a foot pedal such as a Line 6 POD 2, or rack mount version and some kind of foot controller. Not sure if the sound quality from a pedal directly to a PA would cut it though.

That's an individual choice. I play through a Digitech GSP1101 and am happy with the direct sound. But I don't play much guitar. My guitarist uses a Boss floor pedal, but doesn't like the direct sound so he runs it into a small tube amp that we mic.

• Members

I used an older Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount direct for a few years. You don't NEED an amp. They have amp and cabinet simulators built in to the processing. Just depends on your taste. But as far as tight spaces go, my guitarist uses a very small tube amp. An Egnater Tweaker Combo (I think). Plays it very quiet, just using the clean tone. Uses the Boss pedal for all the overdrive and effects. Doesn't take up much space to use an amp that small. He uses a little Fender Twin sometimes instead, but he likes the sound of the Egnater better for whatever reason.

But a lot of guys use the pedals or rack processors direct. Just depends if you're OK with the sounds you can get or not. Have to try it to find out.

• Members

I switched to the Digitech from the Line 6 because I think it sounds much better direct. The Line 6 was always too thin sounding. But it was an older version. The newer Pod Pro X is supposed to sound a lot better.

I also like the Digitech because it's only one rack space. But I need a foot controller to control it. So in that case, you might be better off with one of the foot pedal models and then you're not using up any rack space at all.

• Members

I too have an AudioBox 1818VSL for studio use.

I do a live variety show every year where it is impossible for me to setup a FOH station in the room. I also manage the stage so I've been setting up my mixer at one edge of the stage and walking out to listen. To make changes I have to quickly get back to the mixer (feedback would be a nightmare).

For this year's show, I'm planning to run the stage mics through the AudioBox which will allow me to walk around the room with an iPad and make adjustments. I'll still use my regular mixer as well so I will not be dependant on the AudioBox if there are any unforeseen issues.

The show is not happening until mid-winter but I will post the results of the adventure (or mis-adventure) once it's done.

• Members

I have used the AudioBox 1818VSL for live work and it did the job - as long as you can get by with eight mic inputs and two stereo monitor sends. I sold mine only because I needed more capability and I got it for a really good price and made money on the deal. If it fits your needs I think it would be a good choice.

• Members

You can get 8 more inputs with an ADAT box. BUT - be aware that the laptop isn't just controlling it, it is actually running the mixer software so if the laptop dies you lose all audio. The 1818VSL is just an audio interface, no "brains" included. Plus it seems to be poorly supported, it's been a looooong time since the last software update.

Archived