PA systems comparison

• Members

We're going to have open-air party (50-100 people) for which we'll have to rent PA system. We're going to use notebook + midi controller for music source and we'll probably play electronic/house music mainly. Since we're a limited by transport, system should be as small as possible while as loud and as quality possible. I've got several offers but these 3 are in my top selection. Please note that 3rd one is almost 2x more expensive, so 1st or 2nd ones should be preferred.

1st:

2x EV ZLX12P

1x subwoofer FBT MAXX10SA

2nd:

2x Wharfedale SH1294

1x Wharfedale SH1500

3rd:

2x Martin Audio V3X

1x Martin Audio WSX

I don't have much experience with PA systems, so I was wondering if you could please advise me on which system to go with? Thanks in advance!

• Members

If you want less quality and volume, then I agree the 1 -2nd would be preferred.

If you want the best quality and highest attainable volume as you state, the 3rd is preferred.

That's pretty much a microcosm of life. Quality costs and you generally can't have both GOOD and CHEAP. You have to decide if it's worth the price of admission. I'd go with #1 if you limit the selection between 1 & 2, but that's only because I'm unfamiliar with Wharfedale.

• Members

My take. If you don't push them, any of them will work. If your band is volume out of control, none of them will work. You're not playing to 20,000 people, so don't believe you need 120 db in the back. You really should be down to about 80 db in the back of the crowd outdoors. If the area is about 100' x 100' then working backwards you'll need to produce 110 db at 3'. There really should be quite a bit of headroom to work that. You might want to check out your typical stage volume. If it's under 115 dbc, you can use a db app on an iphone. Over that and you run out of their range. Personally, I don't like stage volumes over 107 dbc. And I enjoy listening to rock bands at 95 dbc. I hate it when the band is 110 dbc in the crowd. Too loud, too hard to order drinks. (You shout your order and they still get it wrong. Note that Jet engines are 120 dbc. Think that's at about 18' away.)

• Members

Wynn, where are you coming from here? Your answer has no relation to the question asked. You might look up what electronic and house music is before offering an opinion. It's like saying the music needs a cello and French horn without knowing what the music genre is about. Also, a (typical) jet engine is not 120dB C weighted at 18 feet. I would expect that it's closer to 130dB plus. I would say option 2 may be adequate, option 3 is clearly superior.

• CMS Author

I think he failed to read the post, as the "if your band is volume out of control" comment would seem to indicate. And yes, military jet aircraft will exceed 130dB at full throttle.

OP, if you've got option 3 available I'd take that choice. Better is better; make the party memorable and there'll be more of 'em.

• Members

I really have to stop replying in the middle of the night. Got Audio Tools app on my iphone and a db meter that I've had for years. They are pretty close to the same figures. (Until you get over 115 db on the iphone.) You guys are right. No band in this OPs post. Think it would take a good sound guy to notice the difference if the systems weren't setup side by side.

• Members
make the party memorable and there'll be more of 'em.

Words to live by.

Also, if you don't have much experience with PA systems my guess is you'd rather have too much system that isn't working very hard to get the sound you need rather than your pulling your hair out trying to squeeze more out of a smaller system when you don't really have a lot of experience/knowledge about doing such things.

Archived