Heil "The Fin" (and various ramblings)

• Members

I went to a local high-school reunion this weekend, and one of the performers was a crooner, using backing tracks. This guy put on one helluva show for a 1-man act. His song selection was great, his stage presence was excellent, and what impressed me most was how good he sounded. At one point, he did an Elvis impersonation, and his chosen vocal mic for that segment was a Heil "The Fin" (Shure SH55 look-alike). The guy stood well back from the mic, and yet his vocals always sounded rich and full, much like what you'd have expected from a studio mix. The "retro" look was perfect for the "Elvis" set. I was very impressed.

I want one! :)

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/microphones/the-fin

While I'm at it, I also wanted to say a good word about a loudspeaker that I've been pretty hard on over the last few years; the QSC K-Series. This outdoor gig covered a fairly large covered terrace, walled-in on one side, with maybe 200-250 seats, and I've gotta say they (K-12's) sounded pretty darned good. Thank goodness they didn't have "DEEP*" engaged, and with the right sub and a well-selected x-over point, they were quite enjoyable for the "crooner' act. I was somewhat less impressed when some of the other acts came along, but I'd be inclined to believe their mixes weren't the best. (louder,harsher, muddier).

• Members

Worked with a retro act recently who had a Heil "The Fin" mic. Wow1 I thought it was horrible and had problems with it all night long (very bright/mid sounding - The FOH guy concurred with this assesmant). Overall I like Heil mics so I wonder if this one had been dropped and was damaged (it almost sounded like that). I think we're working with the same group again in September. If the guy brings that mic, I'm going to ask for a comparison (they were really nice easy folks to work with (other than the awful mic :-)).

Archived