Opinions needed on Shure GLDX versus Line 6 versus ???

• Members

I'm working with a singer that picked up the new Shure GLDX wireless system. http://cdn.shure.com/brochure/upload/59/GLX-D_Digital_Wireless_Brochure.pdf From a sound quality perspective I quite liked it - until he switched to the Beta 58. Yikes, that's some runaway top end! Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on the whole lithium battery thing. Will they last, or will they wind up like my phone batteries do - dead too soon. I'm also wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the various Line 6 models. I want to pick up two (eventually four) wireless mics and although they might be working a half dozen times a month, stiff competion means low rental rates. So I'm wondering how a V35 compares to the v55 or v75.

So anyone got any suggestions? Digital, go "retro" like the AT3000 or ???

Thanks

• CMS Author

Regarding lithium batteries; their life depends a lot on the charging system. As far as 'dead too soon', it should be noted that any battery has a finite number of complete charge cycles. Phone batteries live a hard life...if you have the phone two years, it's probably been charged at least 500 times, which is at the top of the lifespan of most batteries.

• Members

Why do you need lithium? I've been using rechargeable NiMH batteries in my Line 6 V70 for years. With low power setting it will last 6-7 hours. With high setting up 5 hours. They actually recommend low setting if the receivers are nearby.

• Members

I have four of the V55's and could not be happier, they sound great and are reliable. I wish Line6 would offer an option where you could obtain the modeling of just the few mics I want. Programming my units for the Senn 935, Telefunken M80, SM58 and EV 967, I'd be pretty well set.

• Members

Thanks for the responses so far gentleman.

Regarding lithium.... I don't need it, but as far as I can figure, the GLDX comes with a lithium battery and built in receiver charger, so you're stuck with that. But maybe I've missed something. That Shure series (with the SM58, not the beta) seemed reasonably priced, but I've been wondering how much (if any) money you would save over the cost of regular, or especially rechargeable batteries.

Just phoned my local music store and the batteries go for CAN $33.00 which is better than I thought, but if they are proprietary, that would mean depending on Shure for batteries. I've been stranded down that road before.

• Members
I have an XD-70 and an XD-75.

Cool! So did you flash the V70 with the latest firmware. That essentially make it a V75. But when you hook them up run the actual antennas into the V75 and then run the antenna throughs to the V70. Don't forget to put the BNC terminators on the V70 ant outs.

btw ... you ARE running in RF1 mode aren't you? :)

• Members
I have an XD-70 and an XD-75. I went for them because they are rack mountable. I plan on getting another couple sometime. It would make setup a lot easier.

Yep, I've been doing a regular gig where running down stage mic cables, or even a stage snake is a real pain, so I want to rack mount a couple of wiresless, (eventually four) units and be done with it. I was thinking of cludging something together with a rack shelf and so on, but I'm curious as to how well the Line 6 __75's rack mount. I've only used them in their handy dandy carrying case.

Archived