Carvin TRX and SCX line of speakers ?

• Members

I am looking for opinions on the Carvin TRX and SCX series of speakers. I am particularly looking at the SCX 18" powered subs. Are they any good for live band applications in small to medium sized bars ? Thank you

• Members

I might chime in seeing how others haven't. Generally, people will likely steer you toward the qsc and jbl. Or even Yamaha, ev over carvin. They don't have the best reputation. I see their direct price is at 600. Will they work for a band? Probably... But there are better speakers out there. And it's prudent the spend the money on a better product from the start. What are you using them with?

• CMS Author

The problem that's always existed with Carvin, especially regarding speakers, is that returning a defective or service item isn't as simple as going to the local shop. And of course, this also applies to trying before you buy. If you don't know someone with the exact item you're interested in, who might let you demo it, you're simply relying on what you read in Carvin's website or catalog.

• Members

I have owned and used a lot of Carvin gear over the years. Their amps were/are junk, I still have two of their boards which have served me well for small gigs or someplace "questionable" where I'm not taking my Allen and Heath.

Now to the TRX..................I had four of the TRX153N's I recently sold to a church in Ohio, I used them for about 3-4 years. I thought they were outstanding speakers for the price and definitely were not (IMO) a "typical" Carvin product. The cabinets are very well built, they use Eminence drivers and the outer finish is extremely durable. HOWEVER........with a little careful shopping, you can buy much better on the used market. I spotted a pair of EAW KF300's for $1,200 on CL recently. That is less than new TRX's and legions better.

• Members

I was reading an article a few years ago about a sound company that really liked the TRX line but they were phasing them out because the problem with musicians didn't know them and issues with riders requiring certain well known brands. Personally I have not had any problems with the Carvin items I have purchased and I once loaned a small Carvin box mixer to a so called friend who left it on his car porch all winter. Still works fine. I have one of the smaller board mixers too and it still works fine and its about 8 years old.

Archived