wet weather protection

• Members

Ok an outside gig and a big one for us at the royal air tattoo in the the Uk. We are supplying pa around 6k maybe a bit more. 4 srx sub's and either qw4 or srx 715 for tops. Qsc 315,s for infill.not had a bad weather gig before but in the uk anything could happen. All suggestions welcome. We do have more subs but not the same, maybe a center set up.

• Members

Two 18" subs and two tops per side is not much for 6k people at all.

Four double 18" subs per side and four tops per side gets you a bit closer.

As far as rain goes then go out and buy tarps big enough to cover your FOH boxes.

Use bungy cords or whatever it takes to secure the tarps to the cabs.

You could still play with everything tarped and the band on a covered stage.

You can flip the monitors over on stage or cover them with plastic garbage bags.

Without cover over the band and rain you might want to consider a cancel.

• Members

I would use the tarps but cut some 1 x 2s so you can bungee them down and have an overhang on the front of the speakers. I would make it at least an 8 inch or so overhang to keep rain from getting on the speaker cones. More overhang if you expect a major rain. Maybe someone has a better idea but that has worked for me before.

• Members
Two 18" subs and two tops per side is not much for 6k people at all.

Four double 18" subs per side and four tops per side gets you a bit closer.

As far as rain goes then go out and buy tarps big enough to cover your FOH boxes.

Use bungy cords or whatever it takes to secure the tarps to the cabs.

You could still play with everything tarped and the band on a covered stage.

You can flip the monitors over on stage or cover them with plastic garbage bags.

Without cover over the band and rain you might want to consider a cancel.

6k of pa not people. Not sure how many will be at the stage.could be anything.

• Members

Give some thought as to how you are going to keep the tarps on the speakers in a high wind situation, Bungys work , as does rope, Another method is to wrap the tarps with the plastic used to stretch wrap skids for shipping. Basically big rolls of Saran wrap. Easily cut off with one of those little plastic envelope openers.

• Members

Sorry this is so long, but the issue of weather is serious and you should learn early on in this business how to deal with shows where weather can make an impact.

Here is the advice I got years ago, and it works. EZ up tent with side curtains (or similar) at FOH. I attached the side walls but I don't lower them unless the rain starts. I do the same for power racks, with racks centered under the tent. Plywood under the racks so they don't sink in or fall over if the ground turns to mud. Speakers cables routed to grass areas or pavement instead of dirt which will turn to mud. Saves cleaning later. Monitors on stage may be covered by a roof but water still blow in, so put each monitor into a large trash bag, and put each one on 2x4 strips to raise them from the stage where water can collect. If I have any AC extension cords, they must reach full length from sheltered area to area so that junctions are not exposed. If they MUST be exposed, I wrap every junction in plastic and then seal with duct tape so water can't get in (this is not something I like to see but if you are going to do it anyway, at least wrap them.) Make certain that every outlet used for anything supplying power to stage is on a GFCI circuit. Having a performer die hurts the show. Any distro should be fully covered and protected. In a driving rain, thin sandwich baggies can go over a mic without a lot of loss but when it gets that bad you shouldn't be out in it anyway. Speaker stacks should be placed on a hard surface like pavement (or plywood or 2x4s) so that soft ground won't allow them to tip over. Stacked cabinets take a life of their own on mud and can fall over with little provocation. Buy a large tarp for each stack. Place it over the stack so that the center of the tarp is at the center of the top cabinet. Put a bungie or tie strap around the very top of the cabinet. Once it is secured, pull the front of the tarp over the stack to the back and lay it neatly where it is not a trip hazard. If it rains, two people can get the corners of the tarp and pull it back over the speaker fairly easily. It will sound different, but it is better than no show.

If there is no roof over the stage, show stops at the first drop of water. People die when they mix electricity and water.

Have a plan in advance. I always tell people working the stage what I expect from each of them (assigned tasks) in the event of a sudden downpour. I have people that know to cover the stacks. Someone knows to pull power if it gets that bad. Carry a smart phone or laptop that has real time access to weather reports and monitor regularly. Decide before the show starts who has authority to end the show for safety reasons and stick with that plan. One person is the go/no go person, and that is me at my shows. I am the one with the HUGE investment and the one that lawyers will look for if anything goes wrong, so I am the one that will decide if the event stops right now. Make certain you know who gets paid if the show IS stopped for weather. I want to know what I am risking financially by stopping or allowing the show. Finally, no one getting hurt is the prime objective, not making loud music. If anything looks dangerous, questionable, threatening, or likely to cause loss of investment or injury, the show stops then. No questions asked, and no one challenges my decision. If someone else wants to have that authority, show me the insurance and the written responsibility for making the call. That way, when I get sued for wrongful death, I have something to help minimize the blame. If nothing shows someone else takes the blame, I am the one with risks, so I am the one with the authority.

Don't let anyone talk you into anything that MIGHT be a problem. If weather stops the show, then so be it. I would rather lose the show, then lose the court case. Thats is a no brainer. At one of my first shows when I did not know better, I let the man with the checkbook talk me into continuing a show that I was hoping he would call off. I set up, did everything I said here, and started the canned music warily. 5 minutes later, the weather broadcast said tornado warning, rain started pouring down, and it became a free for all. Everyone did help me pack quickly under the tents and get the gear loaded, but that was a learning experience. The man with the checkbook is often too concerned with profit to make the safest call on continuing. Don't let yourself get caught in that situation. Do what your gut instinct tells you is right. There is nothing wrong with ending a show where safety is a real concern.

I have worked shows in rain, but I was ready. I won't work a show after the first thunder clap. Show is stopped, everything is powered down, and nothing comes back up until I personally throw the switch back on. That is my call and no one else will dictate that. I have to know the show is safe or I won't assist in making the disaster happen.

If you take all the precautions, watch the weather, and use your head, weather is not a problem. Use caution, be aware, and be prepared.

• Members

Great write up Axis!

When rain or beer showers are in the forecast I have wrapped the center clustered subs like a present in a large tarp. The sound does not seem to be impacted but I have wondered whether this might cause the drivers to overheat. My understanding is the voice coils actively cool themselves with the airflow created by the back and forth movement of the cone. Someone please set me straight if this is a poor practice (SRX718S subs).

The other thing I do when rain threaten is put the stage snake head in a garbage bag. You have to plan in advance and route all the cables towards the snake cable for this to work but it is quick and effective if it starts to sprinkle.

• Members

Great write-up, axisplayer! Some advice in there that was clearly hard-won.

PSG says "pull power at first sign of lightning". In this case, does it matter if you physically pull the power, or is switching power bars off safe enough? (I am wondering about path to ground here)

Wes

• Members

What I used last weekend for an outdoor gig on a high school football field: my rig: one Yorkville TX4 on a stand over one Yorkville TX9s double 18 subwoofer per side of a stage. I drove around town and picked up two wooden shipping "pallets" for free (many business' discard these). I put each sub on its own pallet which makes an ideal platform for which to attach a tarp with bungy cords WHILE letting the water flow beneath.

For the TX4's on stands I cover them with "contractor trash bags" which are large and heavy-duty (purchased at Home Depot). I gaff them shut at the bottom. It did not rain during last weekend's gig but in past years (at this yearly event) it has down-poured and the music kept pumping.

Over the years I have had two occasions where my above mention method saved my gig (and my gear).

When the gig is over I take the pallets home and chop them up to use in our fire-pit at family gatherings.

When I use my Yorkville TX8 cabs over the same subs I put a couple pieces of 2x4 between the sub and mid/hi cab. I bring my drill and several "eye hooks" to attach bungies to cover the upper cab if needed. I have never had to cover my TX8's as I use my TX4's most of the time.

Mike M

• Members

Get some of the good quality plastic sheeting that body shops use when the cover cars in the paint booth. It's flexible and stretchable if needed. For about $30 you can get a roll that is 16ft wide and 350ft long. Cover the speakers completely then cut a slit in the front and pull it open to completely uncover the front grill. If it starts raining just pull the slit closed and throw a piece of tape on it to seal it. I did this at one gig and it took all of 60 seconds to get the grills completely covered on 2 full stacks.

Archived